Sargent 1067 gets a new blade set
Seeing the post today about T&G joints reminded me of the orphan T&G Sargent plane that I picked up a few moons ago. It was bladed with a Sargent plow blade and a Stanley bead blade. This bit of chicanery did not fool me or the other bidders as they dropped out fast and I picked it up at my usual bottom feeding price. Fast forward to today when I fished it out of the boneyard and gave it a once over. I remembered it as a 1068, the more common version, but was pleasantly surprised to find the rare 1067. This plane cuts a 3/16" T&G on 5/8" stock. I found a few suitable blades on hand, but the tongue holder was really tight and could not accommodate a 1/8" thick blade. I like mine thick and most planes do too, but this plane balked.

Now I have made thousands of plane blades over the years but none recently and wondered if I still had the knack. First order of business was to make a paper template from cardstock. This took about a TV hour but only because a Fred Astaire movie was on.

Then I needed some stock. This required 1" x 3/32". Happily, there was some stock on hand.

Then I needed to trace out the pattern.

Use an angle grinder to cut along the solid lines.

Then do some freehand grinding using the Wolverine jig. I always follow up grinding with drawfiling to soften up the edges.

And do a trial fit. Perfect, of course.

Next I will use the milling machine to finish out the gap and then send the blade off to heat treating.

In the meantime, I was able to have both fun and success with the groove blade.

Looks like this little orphan will make a full recovery.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Jim, nice work on the plane blade. Looks great.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Good job, Jim another beauty to the rescue.

Steve
Excellent process post. A video of the process would be even nicer.