Bandsaw (G01514X2) vibration help
I took the wheel off and the bearings feel smooth, no grinding or crunching. I took a video of the top shaft. Should this be as loose as it is? I realize the wheel needs to tilt to adjust tracking but should it move side to side like that?

https://youtu.be/s4BkQKJYkCQ

Again, I appreciate all the suggestions y'all are giving me.
-Marc

WaterlooMarc said:

It's called "Institutional Knowledge"

And if the woodnet isn't an "institution" I've never seen one

Have you listened closely to the saw? I use a mechanic's stethoscope (or the old trick of using a big screwdriver to the bone behind my ear) and you can hear bad bearings long before they're loud.

Edit to add: did it start with the new saw blade? Have you tried the old one?
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
No it was like it with my old blades. I bought the new blade because I thought it may have been a problem with the old ones since they were all from the same supplier.
-Marc

WaterlooMarc said:

I took the wheel off and the bearings feel smooth, no grinding or crunching. I took a video of the top shaft. Should this be as loose as it is? I realize the wheel needs to tilt to adjust tracking but should it move side to side like that?

That seems pretty loose. Install blade, tension and see how much play you can generate by moving the top wheel side to side.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
I don't have a video of it but I can move the wheel in all directions when the blade is installed. I can actually make it rock side to side easier than vertical.

I've sent the videos to grizzly's tech support this morning. Hopefully they can be of assistance.

On another note I was able to mount my indicator to attempt to check roundness of the wheel and I think it's okay. I am so definitely not a machinist though! I did just check the rim, I probably should've done the tire where the blade run though? (Just thinking about that while I'm typing...)
-Marc

WaterlooMarc said:

I think what the video shows is fine... my G0513 is very similar with it's movement.

Don't rule out the bottom wheel bearings... with no load/tension on it a bad bearing can seam okay even when it is not.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
I agree. The whole assembly is moving, not the shaft in the mounting block. I think your issue is still a bad bearing or something is out of balance or out of round. It sounds like your saw has very few hours on it, correct? If so, bearings are likely not the problem. Could be, but more likely it's something else.

John
Correct very few hours on it. Probably less than forty.

My first thought was that the wheel was out of balance. But ability to test for that is basic at best. As I said all I've done is spin it by hand. Would there be a local business I could take the wheels to? What would I google? Just machine shop?
-Marc

Before I took it somewhere I'd try to spin the upper wheel with a rubber pad on a drill or right angle grinder.

Do you have a good air compressor? I've spun wheels with a blower nozzle.

Either way if you can get it up to a fair speed and see if it vibrates.

Since the lower wheel doesn't see to vibrate when the blade is off the upper wheel becomes the main suspect.

Have you double checked the tire on the upper? Is there a lump, etc in it?

And, as mentioned, have you closely inspected the wheel for insect nest, etc? Stranger things have happened
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I would cut a wood wedge, and see how to wedge that upper wheel tilting part.
Then run the saw and while running see if it is moving, and if it is, wedge it and see if that helps.

If that's not the problem, I would try to figure a way to spin just the upper wheel to check for vibration. Fiction drive on a motor? Wrap light rope around wheel and pull fast? Not sure of speed needed.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer