Plane tote screw
I made a new tote for an old Stanley no 5 that I got at a flea market. The screw on the front of the of the tote is missing. A #10 is too small and a 1/4" is too large. I can't find anything in between. What size screw do I need?
It is a #12-20 thread that is proprietary to Stanley. You will not find one in a hardware store.

PM me your mailing address and I'll send you one.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
I ran into the exact same problem a few years ago, ended up ordering one online for double digit dollars. You're a lucky man!
Benny

bennybmn said:

I ran into the exact same problem a few years ago, ended up ordering one online for double digit dollars. You're a lucky man!

Please check here first! Many of us have extra Stanley screws, especially the more common ones and won't charge an arm or a leg.
Most everything threaded on a Stanley is common only to Stanley. They are old enough to supercede standardization; and I hadn't heard they ever bothered to change to standard sizes. Even now.

You want to collect parts, or find sources.

Some things, like blades and chipbreakers are made in the secondary markets, Hock, Lee Valley; and, not sure about St. James Bay, who did I believe moldings via lost wax method.

However, there were several hand tool producers who competed on minutely differing scales of similarity. Some parts could be frankensteined between the brands. I have one block plane I am very fond of that fits/matches nothing else in more than one significant part. It's even missing subassemblies. I think it was intentional.

So good luck!
dustyrag said:

[blockquote]bennybmn said:

Please check here first! Many of us have extra Stanley screws, especially the more common ones and won't charge an arm or a leg.

[/blockquote]

This is one of those things that makes Woodnet such an awesome place to hang out.
chris
I retapped with a 12-24
Since this question comes up frequently, an Aussie did a study on Stanley fasteners . It was long ,dealing manufacturing methods, and standardizations . Basically he said Stanley used off the shelf where possible. But off the shelf in 1860 is very different from 2016. The standards we know came decades later.
A man of foolish pursuits
I agree, it seems like there are a lot of good folks here who have extra's and don't mind helping people out. Having said that it is a shame one hasn't been able to manufacture or produced these screws. I am sure there is a lot of people who are not familiar with Woodnet and don't know where to get spare parts.

Steve
In a pinch, the screw holding in the frog adjustment plate will fit. Walt gave me that tip. Still miss him.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis