Elevating a Saw Till
I have a problem with saws - too many - especially those that fit a miter box. They were a pain to store, so I decided to build another saw till, especially for those pesky miter-box saws.

I looked over the wood pile, found some old pine shelving from yesteryear ran it through the planer to clean it up a little.

Made a till, actually a box, to hold the saws.

There's enough room there for several saws, but there's absolutely no wall space in my basement shop for another saw till, so I decided to elevate it. Ahhh, there's a free spot between some floor joists.

A couple of hinge and a means of holding the other end up, and bingo!

Neatly tucked away.

Now, to determine a way to store these beauties.

r2
Richard that is a clever idea, good job. I am in the same boat with no wall space. Since we don't have basements in Florida no bare ceiling joists. I have drywalled 9' ceilings in my garage / shop. But then again I don't have that many saws either but I do need to make a decent saw till one of these days and make room somewhere.

Steve
I've thought of doing a similar thing on a smaller scale to store odds and ends in the joist bays in my shop. Lots of potential space for things I'd like to keep handy, but not necessarily in sight.
Richard, I've had boxes like that holding all manner of construction and ww materials in my shop ceiling between the joists for about 8 years, but never thought to put a saw till in one. Brilliant. I have saw racks taking up wayyyy too much of my floorspace, and may have to 'borrow' this idea of yours.

" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Excellent idea. I almost wish I hadn't sheetrocked my ceiling.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
I like your idea but in my case I'd put a plexiglas bottom on the box and use it for storing hardware, extra planes (of which I have way too many), and whatever else would fit.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
Actually, gMike's comment just gave me an idea for a modification. To store saws, it wouldn't NEED a bottom. You could just have a few rails go across the box, with kerfs for the saws to sit in, and that way you could actually still see the saws from below.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Gregory of Sherwood Forest said:

I have saw racks taking up wayyyy too much of my floorspace...

But surely this doesn't mean you have too many saws...
Bill_Houghton said:

[blockquote]Gregory of Sherwood Forest said:

I have saw racks taking up wayyyy too much of my floorspace...

But surely this doesn't mean you have too many saws...

[/blockquote]

I didn't say that...

www.RUSTHUNTER.com