Questions about a Delta 33-892 3 phase RAS
Came across this RAS for a really good price, but the current owner has never run it due to a lack of 3 phase power. Is there anything I can do to test the motor without 3 phase power?

The motor tag says 2 HP and draws 230v 4.8a 3 phase - Should I get a rotary or inverter style phase converter? Any recommendations where to purchase a converter from?

Is this Delta Turret Arm design a "good" unit? I have an older 9" Dewalt RAS, but I think I would like the additional capacity of the Delta if it is not a trouble prone machine.

Thanks!
Dave
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
I would get a VFD versus a rotary phase converter - especially if you are not planning on multiple 3 phase machines. I'v got 5 vfd's in the shop - they are easy to set up and use.
Rick

Not really any way to test the motor without 3 phase, but there really isnt much to go wrong with them either. I have a similar RAS, a 30c and I traded up to it from an MBF. I run it on a VFD with a remote set of buttons by the handle. Plenty of choices for a VFD out there, I think factorymation is one online vendor folks have used.

Pull out your handy multimeter, and test the motor leads for resistance. Test A-B, B-C, and C-A. The readings should be identical for all three combos, and be a couple of ohms. I used to know that actual figure for that motor, but I don't think I have it any more.

Also test each lead to the frame (ground) - there should be no continuity.

Mine started life as the Plus 10 version, which is essentially the same saw, but with the old rounded motor with manual brake and round blade guard with dust port in the back/top. It had been retrofitted with an 'upgrade' kit, which included the rectangular cast aluminium motor with electric brake and different blade guard (port in the front) that was flat on top, and I believe it also included the carriage and yoke.

Mine was three-phase, but the motor was shot.

Ridden hard and put away wet.

Basket of parts.

Added my own low-voltage starter, single-phase motor, and let set I found on ebay.

They're solid saws. Maybe not quite as heavy as the big DeWalts with the curved arms, but a league above the Sears units and such.

Probably the only real wear items, other than the motor (which is not rebuildable, by the way), are the track rods in the arm and the carriage rollers. But the rods can be turned 180 degrees to give a whole second life. And they're replaceable, as are the rollers and bearings. Peak up inside the arm and see if there is a long rod on each side, held in with a screw at each end which is visible on the outside of the arm (no screws visible on mine - ways are ground directly into the arm ).
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Is there handy doc to learn to disassemble a Delta RAS turret? Or is it just start removing things?

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

LIL -

thanks for the info everyone - much appreciated. I was able to find the parts and owners manuals online so I think this saw will have a new home soon. Pics to follow in a few days - life is getting in the way....
OK, So I finally got a VFD (Teco FM50) for the RAS, and it is not very clear on how to wire it up....   There is a LOT of conflicting out there on the wild web....  Can I simply wire the power cord from the saw up to the VFD, set the VFD for 60 Hz, no spin up or braking and use the existing powerbox and switch on the saw?   Or would I be better off wiring the motor directly to the VFD, use an external switch and the VFD's spin up and braking options?

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Dave
Mike,
You can go to the VintageMachinery.com or .org and find publication/s there that would give you a good break down.

Dave,
The only way to use an external switch with a VFD is if you use the switch to start the VFD. You cannot have the feed from the VFD to the switch then to the motor(I'm quite certain this is correct). You will blow the VFD. I have the same VFD working on my 3hp Unisaw. If your familiar with the OWWM.org site there is a wealth of info. on VFD's over there.

Bob
Dave - Bob is correct.  Th VFD output shoud go directly to the motor - nothing between the vfd and motor.  The motor can be activated directly from the VFD keypad but I typically use the VFD low voltsge terminals in combination with the machines normal switch.

There is some programming required but the manuals are usually pretty good describing how this is done.  You do need to mke sure the VFD matches the motor arameters but again the manual should have a quick start section describing how to chnage parameters and what they should be .  There is lots of flexibility with a VFD - take some time to review the manual and ask some questions.

Rick
Rick

Thanks Bob and Rick -  Spent some more time looking at the wiring last night and this morning and some quality time with the manual and uTube  
Uhoh ...  Found the motor wires and switch wires in the Delta power box - Shouldn't be too hard to rewire those to the VFD instead of the Delta controls.   I'll use the existing wires for the old start/stop rocker switch and rig up a new external start/stop switch for the VFD.  Should also be able to set up the spin up and brake via the VFD settings without too much trouble.

Appreciate the guidance!
Dave