Bookcase - display cabinet
Ken Vick said:

Hi David

I like your adjustable length clamp. I don't think I have ever seen hardware to make one like yours. Is the hardware only available in Europe? Ken

Hi Ken,
I've had mine for years and cant remember where I bought them, but I see Amazon do something similar.
Amazon page
Cheers

Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National Park
www.rue-darnet.fr
Hi Chat
Great project, looking forward to the finished product. I've done a few G & G pieces. Now if I may nit pick a bit on some details you haven't completed yet;

The piece feels a little mechanical. The cloud lifts are small. You could stretch them wider and taller, give them an organic shape.

Henry Greene did a lot of beautiful leaded glasswork. I've used textured glass in a couple of display cases and it looks much better than clear. And it hides what could be an unbeautiful collection of mixed stuff inside the cabinet. And if it's a beautiful collection, it will entice opening the doors.

Leaded glass is a big step up. I had professionals fit the glasswork into my doors. Costly but worth it for me.

Don't go cheap on the hinges

I like a nice stain on Oak, my current fav is Minwax Special Walnut

When you set it in place, the doors may bind. Try putting a shim under one or the other of the back feet.
Shovel Man said:

Hi Chat
Great project, looking forward to the finished product. I've done a few G & G pieces. Now if I may nit pick a bit on some details you haven't completed yet;

The piece feels a little mechanical. The cloud lifts are small. You could stretch them wider and taller, give them an organic shape.

Henry Greene did a lot of beautiful leaded glasswork. I've used textured glass in a couple of display cases and it looks much better than clear. And it hides what could be an unbeautiful collection of mixed stuff inside the cabinet. And if it's a beautiful collection, it will entice opening the doors.

Leaded glass is a big step up. I had professionals fit the glasswork into my doors. Costly but worth it for me.

Don't go cheap on the hinges

I like a nice stain on Oak, my current fav is Minwax Special Walnut

When you set it in place, the doors may bind. Try putting a shim under one or the other of the back feet.

Thanks for the suggestions. Regarding leaded glass, I'm currently taking a course in making it. This was prompted by the media cabinet from last year which currently has industrial obscured glass in the doors awaiting inspiration. I particularly like Rennie Mackintosh' designs and was hoping to acquire enough skill to reproduce one of the simpler ones.

As for binding doors and the feet, you clearly dont live in a late 18thC house ! There is not a level floor in my place, every piece of furniture requires adjustable feet. The chaise longue in my bedroom (which I know has correct leg lengths) has one foot raised by nearly 1/2".

Will look into the Minwax stain, dont know if it's avalable in France. Environmental and health regulations have changed recently here and my favourite turpentine based stains are no longer available. The water based alternatives I've tried somehow lack depth of colour.
Cheers

www.rue-darnet.fr
I've found the Minwax stain from a supplier in France, but only in 1gal size and they want 300$ for that !
Cheers

www.rue-darnet.fr
Wow, that's piracy. It costs about $12 per quart here. Good luck finding a fair deal on something you like. I agree about the water based ones.

My comment on the shims may still help. Shimming the back feet will correct the twist as effectively as at the front but will be less visible. You may need to start at the front to get it vertical. You might think about a shim that looks better than adjustable feet. It could be a bit of a theme to carry thru the house.
The 100 x 30 pieces were duly ripped into two 50 x 30 and then glued back together (bookmatched) as 50 x 60s. This has the effect of reversing the grain, so any tendency to warp will be largely cancelled out.

It also produces some nice grain effects, hope you can see it here :

Also made the top and bottom members of the two sides, cut the tenons : shoulders on the TS with a crosscut sled, sides on the TS with a vertical tenon jig - see below (this was done before they were shaped of course, I just forgot to take the photos !)

They were then shaped with the obligatory G&G cloud lifts : rough cut on the bandsaw, then smoothed out by hand with files, glass paper, spokeshave etc.

Then I cut the matching mortices (12mm, 35mm deep) using the router in a router box to give me a bit more stability.

Managed to make one front and one back corner post OK (have been known to make two identical !)
and did a quick dry assembly.

Next step will be to rout or TS a slot for the side panel. I will also add a bracing cross member in the middle, but it will be on the inside edge, hidden behind the panel and will also serve as a shelf support for the middle shelf which will be fixed to brace the middle of the cabinet.
Cheers

www.rue-darnet.fr
Martin S. said:

How is the next door house renovation coming along?

I might have missed a thread on that.

It looked like that was going to be a big job, but I think we would love to see some before and after pics.

I always enjoy your posts.

+1
Looking forward to an update.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Bill Holt said:

[blockquote]Martin S. said:

It looked like that was going to be a big job, but I think we would love to see some before and after pics.

+1

[/blockquote]

No, you haven't missed much, there has been very little progress. The main issue has been the roof. I'm reluctant to start anything beyond stripping out the interior before the roof is done and there seems to be a shortage of roofers - I had to wait ages for quotes, then a couple of months for planning consent (we are in a conservation area) then no-one is free to make a start before the end of the summer.

Added to which there is the uncertainty of a possible 'Brexit". If the UK opts out of the EU, I would probably lose my mostly free health insurance (it's a reciprocal agreement between EU countries) and if the pound sterling drops, so does my income which is mainly UK pensions paid in sterling.

All in all I will feel happier about pushing on when I know the result of the referendum (end of june).
Cheers

www.rue-darnet.fr
Finished the afternoon yesterday cutting the slots for the floating side panels. Quite simple in principle, but a lot of material to remove to create an 8mm slot 175 x 36cm. Cut the short parts on the TS, three passes with a 3mm blade, then routed the long parts as I was not confident to control the 2m long corner sections well enough to make stopped cuts on the TS.

Also made the two central cross braces and routed the appropriate mortices.

Today I started making up the side panels. These will be in chestnut - I like the "cathedral window" grain and a slightly different tint will look good I believe.

Some 25mm rough boards planed up to 18mm, then biscuit jointed for alignment and glued up. Note the central section of the bench removed to allow clamping both sides of the job to the bench top to keep everything perfectly flat, this is one of the key advantages of this bench arrangement.

Cheers

www.rue-darnet.fr
Chataigner said:

[blockquote]Bill Holt said:

[blockquote]Martin S. said:

+1

[/blockquote]

No, you haven't missed much, there has been very little progress. The main issue has been the roof. I'm reluctant to start anything beyond stripping out the interior before the roof is done and there seems to be a shortage of roofers - I had to wait ages for quotes, then a couple of months for planning consent (we are in a conservation area) then no-one is free to make a start before the end of the summer.

Added to which there is the uncertainty of a possible 'Brexit". If the UK opts out of the EU, I would probably lose my mostly free health insurance (it's a reciprocal agreement between EU countries) and if the pound sterling drops, so does my income which is mainly UK pensions paid in sterling.

All in all I will feel happier about pushing on when I know the result of the referendum (end of june).

[/blockquote]

Hi David. I hope the vote turns out OK for you but with emotions running so high, I guess there is no telling how this will turn out. Seems like the political landscape is in a mess in a number of places . Ken