Wax on MinWax Polycrylic
Just helped make a large farm table of construction-grade lumber. The 2x8s were well-dried in Colorado's low RH. Sanded it down to perfection, and have now brushed on four coats of Minwax Polycrylic, so it's finished.

BUT, I'm thinking of a recommendation I saw to use 0000 steel wool when applying wax to oil-based finish on hardwood. So my question is: since there are a few dust beetles to rub out, would steel wool and wax harm or hurt the poly on soft wood. Thanks.
Let me guess as to the replies:

1st - Don't use steel wool - use the green or white pads.
2nd - don't use wax. It's only real use is modify sheen and attract dust.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I basically agree with LIL! Wax gives a nice feel and a look some folks favor but doesn't protect the wood or finish.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
If you use steel wool you'll end up with a satin sheen, which is OK if that's what you want. Wait at least a week before doing that. But to remove dust nibs w/o changing the sheen I would use white Scotchbrite or just do nothing. They'll go away just through use, too, with no effort at all.

John
Or go high tech and use a brown paper bag.
Rusty
Poppa's Woodworks
That works, too, but it's best to wait at least a week before using it and to use a light touch. I scratched a finish once by being a little too aggressive with the paper bag on a finish that was only about 2 days old. I was surprised (and not in a good way) to see that it would do that.

John
Speaking for those of us who are learning woodworking as we go by reading these forums, thank you for answering the questions. You are much appreciated.
If you don't wax it, and it needs a new top coat, then you just scuff it up with some 320 grit and apply the new finish.

If you wax it you have to be 100% sure that you've gotten all the wax off before you apply a new top coat.

I never wax my finishes for exactly that reason.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I haven't used Minwax Polycrylic in a long time. I do remember it being what I considered a soft finish, even when cured. I think you're best best would be to make a sample board and run through a few different process to decide what you like best.

I rubbed out a hard maple crib I made with wax and steel wool for this exact same reason but the finish was Minwax oil based Poly which is a pretty hard finish once cured. It turned out silky smooth when I was done.

I do like using wax in this application but mostly on items that are small and/or "handled". I love adding paste wax to the handles of hand tools--especially old hand tools. I just feels nice to me.

I know this isn't in part to your question but while we are on topic, make sure you use either a brown wax for darker woods or a "white" crystal clear wax for lighter woods. I once learned this hard way using non-brown on small walnut piece. You will be blessed with a white haze stuck in the pores of a dark wood once it's dry.