I think it's a power tool
https://youtu.be/Q6FxG3ll-lw
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
Power tool or no- that is very interesting- never seen that before. Thanks.
Very innovative. I'm not sure I buy the rationale of soaking the log for a year to remove the sugars that cause movement when drying though.
Very interesting. Thanks for posting that.

Doug
In the USA we used sash saws for many years. Most were driven by a water wheel. Band saws took their place.There were thousands of sash saws in the 17 & 1800's.Band saws are faster and leave a much smoother finish.
I used to saw with a home made sash saw powered with a 25 hp gasoline engine. I advanced the log with an electric winch.
I used 1" wide band saw blades that were in a "window sash".Hence the name "sash saw".The sash was made from pecan.The joints were draw pegged. I added as many as 6 blades at a time to saw 7 boards with one run thru the sash.Slow going,The winch advanced the log slowly.The sawing motion is reciprocal. This is easily accomplished with a Pitman arm run from the engine.I drilled 1/4" holes with carbide drill bit at each end of the saw blades for attaching to the sash.Bottom of blade was fixed with a pin.Top of the blade was tensioned with a small turnbuckle.
I understand their is one commercial sash saw still running.My saw was for my own lumber,never sold the lumber but did sell the saw years later.

mike
LongLook said:

Very innovative. I'm not sure I buy the rationale of soaking the log for a year to remove the sugars that cause movement when drying though.

Logs are dumped in ponds here to make them easier to move around and to keep them wet until processed. Mills without ponds use big sprinkler systems to keep them wet. I don't think you'd draw anything out of a log by leaving it in the water.

Anyhow, it's a cool system thanks for posting the link.