Mora knife handles
In another thread people speak of Mora knives. They are a favorite of many including Peter Follansbee. I have one I use for my all-purpose shop knife and for Sloyd work, but I do not like the handle. I've thought about taking a rat-tailed rasp to it and put grooves around the handle spaced down its length or just splitting the handle off altogether and replacing it with something else. Has anyone else had similar issues and come up with a good solution they like? I also have a Nic Westermann Fawcett blade on the way that will need a handle so am looking for ideas for it as well.

Phil
Here are some blades that I made handles for.

Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
I had one years ago, but didn't like the notion of fingers slipping onto the blade. No, it was not comfortable, either. It felt fine to hold it, but not use it. Also, we carried knives and I wasn't into belt scabbards. A pocket knife was more convenient.

Go to a large outdoor sporting goods store and test drive their knives. Find a Woodcraft or Rockler and do the same. Experiment with reshaping the handle. If you fail, replace and continue. The futsing will give you the best experience for doing your new blade. Fiddle and make it to your comfort level.

I have seen the same woodworking authors using so many different marking knives over the years that I don't think they stay married to one all that long.
This fellow talks a little about re-handling his Mora knife in this video about spoon carving tools.

spoon carving tools
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
Why not make a new handle using local sticks..like maybe Diamond Willow...I got out my wood burner and finished these today..I started them a month ago..I Like like Native American themes and symbols as you can see....You don't need a wood burner..you can use a small "V" tool..Make the handle to fit your most comfortable grip. Fill on the carved lines with dark shoe polish and buff.

Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I was waiting for you to chime in, Jack. Seems I commented on that eagle handle before.

Phil
Phil, I just got really tired of making handles that are all so similar, and after watching Jim Redhawk's youtube video of an eagle head, decided to experiment a little. I bought a large flat rate box of cottonwood bark because it carves so easily and I want to try a few different things with it, combining carving with pyrography.

I can see "personalizing" chisel and other tool handles with wood spirits, just to put your own brand on them..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymFKg2DKnMU

Get off my lawn !
Upset

I love that Birch!!!!! Still haven't decided on the style of handle to make out of the Masur birch you sent me.....Maybe another Eagle head hook knife....

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Yes Jack that birch is some handsome wood.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
Jack you are the Man, those look really nice. And by the way I am enjoying that detail knife you sent me, thank you so much.

I am trying to decide wether I need to get a Mora knife now as I am trying to learn how to carve spoons etc.

Steve