Spindle turning question
I want to turn some round walnut mid-century modern-esque legs. I think 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" in diameter. Do you guys always start with an 8/4 blank or would face gluing 2 4/4 blanks give acceptable results, too? It would seem like the glue joint would be relatively invisible here.

Thanks
Paul
depends on how well matched the boards are. If you have a wide board and rip it down the middle you'll have a near perfect match on that edge. Other edge will depend on the edges of the board.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I did this with 8/4 oak for a dining room table because I needed the legs to be about 3 1/2 square at the top. I had a book match at one side, pretty good match on the other one. I did a dark stain so that tended to hide things but remember it will be a table leg. Unless someone is crawling under the table (like a wood turner) it will be pretty invisible to a norml person. I have also used two 4/4 pieces on unturned legs that came out very well. I would also think walnut usually does not have a striking grain pattern so you will probably be OK with what ever action you choose...Tom
Paul I do not think it matters but if you cut it you can always put a contrasting wood between it for a nice look also.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
too bad your not closer to Garrett Co. I got lots of 8/4 walnut
Yes I would start with 8/4 stock, I try to avoid gluing up stock.
Find some quarter sawn or close to it, and if the grain is straight, you should be able to conceal the glue joint (dark glue) in between annual rings. then, when you get ready to attach it to the table, put your best match quarter faces outside to be seen, and make sure the other leg visible at the same time is also quarter. Lots of folks forget this in flat work, and feel foolish with a face and quarter visible at the same time.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.