Finish on handscrew clamps
I picked up a couple nice Jorgenson handscrew clamps at a garage sale. Unfortunately the previous owner had painted part of the wood red, and although I'm not to fussy, I did strip off the red. I will sand them a little, and thought about applying some "boiled linseed oil" to even out the finish and maybe it will keep them from getting glued to something else? Does this make any sense? I have a bunch of others in various stages of use. Should I just sand them and call it quits and wait for Mother Nature's Patina? Thanks!
Maybe 35 years ago I had access to a machine tool workshop for a few nights. Along with a long straight edge and anvil, I made 4 large handscrew clamps using cherry for the jaws. I made all the other parts as well with the metal lathe. I left the wood unfinished except for a coat of wax on the faces to prevent glue from sticking. After all these years they still work perfectly and have developed a shop patina--combination cherry wood color and other colors the clamps have met up over the years. Ken
I'd go for raw wood except for wax on the clamping portion if it will come in contact with glue. If you want to to finish, I'd go for a simple wiping varnish: equal parts of BLO, MS and your favorite oil based varnish.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I have built a lot of cam clamps often used by luthiers. I left them unfinished. I have some commercial ones that look like they got a really light finish, but I can't tell what it might be. Mine are maple and over the last 20 years I haven't really found a need to finish them. I use them for all kinds of things other than woodworking, they have been in the garage many times.
I thought this was a dumb question, but it turns out I found the right answer. I decided to give them a coat of paste wax, and they look just right now. I hadn't even thought of wax. Much better than oil.

Thanks a lot.
toolmiser said:

I thought this was a dumb question, but it turns out I found the right answer. I decided to give them a coat of paste wax, and they look just right now. I hadn't even thought of wax. Much better than oil.

Thanks a lot.

I waxed mine right from the start. Easy to get glue off...Tom
I might do that to my clamps if I get bored. The jaws on mine are made of cork, so sticking to glue isn't a problem so far
PSA
Go easy on the linseed oil. I just picked up a trio of Jourgies that look like they did duty in a production shop. These clamps are in pretty good shape for being about 100 years old. BUT they were linseeded pretty good. All were black. Maybe even a fire was in their past. Anyway, I did some cleaning with sandpaper. It was a gummy mess but the clamps appreciated the cleaning. I finished them with wax. BLO is OK, but make sure the treatment is only 10-10% BLO and 80-90% turps. It does darken over time.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
My handsrews are treated with an oil/varnish mixture.

Easy to apply and easy to renew. You can apply a coat of wax so that any adhesive that drips onto the clamps can be easily removed.
Howie.........