Grizzly 12" Helical head 60609X jointer first look
My friend got a what I believe is the newest model of Grizzly's 12" jointer. He ordered it several months ago and they said they had to wait for a shipment to arrive from China.

It arrived with oil on it in place of the usual cosmoline so it cleans up easy. It arrived on a steel pallet and was packed in a box that was well built. The tools were tucked into the dust collection chute and that could have been easy to miss because the manual did not mention that. The head is interesting in that it has a sort of J shaped cut into it and the individual cutters sit at the bottom of the J. Most other helical heads have the cutters sitting on the top of a ridge.

The belt is a single wide (~1") multigrove belt. Under power it is rock solid stable. Getting it dialed in was easy. Even lifting it was not bad. One person can lift it by the table and shove a dollie under that end and repeat with the other end and have it on dollies in no time. The manual says it is ok to lift by the tables although it is not something I like to do, but this beast seems to be built solid enough to handle it.

When is he going to upgrade the planer behind it?
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

That's new about 8 month's ago or so. It's a 20" helical head.
too bad
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

JGrout said:

too bad

20" Helical head less than a year old is bad? What would you expect him to "upgrade" to?
Curlycherry said:

[blockquote]JGrout said:

too bad

20" Helical head less than a year old is bad? What would you expect him to "upgrade" to?

[/blockquote]

a 25" with a spiral head...duh

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

packerguy® said:

[blockquote]Curlycherry said:

[blockquote]JGrout said:

too bad

[/blockquote]

a 25" with a spiral head...duh

[/blockquote]

I've had a 20" for 15 years now (spiral for the last 5) and I gotta say that a 20" makes a LOT of chips! My friend has the 5 Hp Grizzly dust collector and a while back he was planing a big pile of wood. Even with a big drum he said he was emptying that drum every ~10 minutes. So I would say a bigger planer is a waste, what he and I need is an automagic dust dumping system.

BTW 5 years and a whole lotta wood and I have not had to turn any of my cutters yet. I would have chewed up 3-4 sets of planer knives by now. Carbide helicals are the way to go.
At least someone got it

there is a lot of wasted potential there

Too bad

Great looking Jointer .. I have a 12" and love it ... so many boards are 2x8 thru 2x12 ...

There is more to a 12 than width... longer beds, bigger motor (usually).. bigger fence.

Nice choice
Nice!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.