Garage Door Opener Compatibility
I have a Lift-Master "The Professional Line, Formula I, Whisper Drive" garage door opener. On checking the name plate, I find that it says: Chamberlain Residential Door Opener, 1/2HP, Model 1280R, Mfg Date 07/99. This is a belt drive system and I have two of these - one for the single door and one for the double door. Both openers are exactly the same.

I have been having problems with the double door opener and want to change it. However, I would like to continue using the existing remote, if possible, as it (i.e., remote) can control both garage door opener. I also have a keypad for the openers, which I don't want to change, if possible. Questions:

(a) Should I be looking under Lift Master or Chamberlain for the new opener ?

(b) Is a 1/2HP opener adequate for a double door or should I be looking at something more powerful ?

© Are belt drive openers good or should I be looking at chain or screw drives ?

(d) Are Lift-Master/Chamberlain good brands or should I be looking for something else ? (perhaps Craftsman ?) These came with the house, when I bought it about 5 years ago. I realize I cannot use the same remote if I change the door opener, but in a worst case scenario, I am willing to forgo the remote and get another one.

(e) I have a feeling the springs for my garage door are gone (2 for double door). When I disengage the door from the lift mechanism and try to move it, it seems to want to shut itself (i.e., go down by itself). Since the springs are about 16 years old, I thought they are probably at the end of their useful life. Roughly how much would it cost to replace the springs for a single and double door, if I had them both done at the same time - both parts and labor ? (I live in the Phoenix, AZ area) ? I don't plan to mess around with the springs myself but would like to get a tradesman to do it.

(f) What lubricant should I use for the door rollers ? The door seems to close and open quite noisily.

(g) Is there something else I ought to also take into account when I am getting the system fixed ?

Would appreciate advice if you have gone through this exercise yourself.

Thanks !
Chambarlain bought liftmaster several years ago. So they are the same stuff now just different names in different markets. Craftsman openers are the same manufacturer as well.

You basically have two choices in brands. Chambarlain or genie. Genie mainly makes screw drive which uses a 3 start 10tpi acme threaded rod. There is also the German brand that is very different and supposedly a good unit. Then there is Wayne Dalton which is pretty small and only in a few small markets and from what I have seen of them I would stay away.

1) same company

2) 1\2 hp is enough if it's balanced correctly. But a little more hp never hurts.

3) Belt openers are quiet and smooth but pricey. Chain drives are imo the most reliable. Screw drive... I have had and will never have again. They are noisy they will drip grease on the car in the summer and in the winter they tend to bind. They are cheap and easy to install.

4) again same company. Remotes can be used on the replacement units of the same brand most of the time.

5) what kind of springs? If they are coil springs they are an easy replacement. Put a scale under the door with the springs disconnected and then go by the chart for the door spring company.
If it is a torsion spring most likely they didn't tighten it enough when it was installed.
Torsion springs are usually a $100 to have someone replace them. Not much more than the retail price of the springs.

6) replace the rollers if they are worn. New quiet nylon ones are a night and day difference.

What is wrong with the existing openers? Bad remote reception which is common on all units now and a new one will not fix it. Put in a chambarlain in my parents house and it wouldn't open the door. I could stand just outside the door with the remote and it wouldn't open. I had to walk around to the side where the window is. And the door is wood so nothing to stop the signal.
They sent out two control boards and then finally a remote antenna kit and they admitted they have had problems since they were forced by the fcc to use a new and bad frequency. The old frequency is for navy use now.
Have no idea about the compatibility between Lift Master and Chamberlain, but after going through about 4 of the Genie screw drives I converted my barn and house to the Chamberlain Whisper drives and love them, doubt I'll ever buy a different brand again. Embedded in that statement is the fact i like the belt drive models over the chain and screw drives. Chain drives are reliable, but too darn noisy. Your door springs may need to be tightened up, something some think is a DOY job; others say call a pro.....you pick. Is 1/2 HP enough. Most probably, I have a 1/2 HP on my barn 16' door. But f you have wooden doors, you might want to upsize to the 3/4 HP model.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
my Genie was under warranty when it crapped out, but they said it was my problem. Got tired of it being flakey anyway. So I bought a liftmaster 3800. I like it a lot.
Thanks Guys. Your advice is much appreciated. I find that Costco has a 3/4 HP Chamberlain on sale, along with all goodies including a laser parking assistant, and so I might go with that. I will get a technician to change out the springs, as I don't have the confidence to do it myself.
Robert Adams said:

Chambarlain bought liftmaster several years ago. So they are the same stuff now just different names in different markets. Craftsman openers are the same manufacturer as well.

You basically have two choices in brands. Chambarlain or genie. Genie mainly makes screw drive which uses a 3 start 10tpi acme threaded rod. There is also the German brand that is very different and supposedly a good unit. Then there is Wayne Dalton which is pretty small and only in a few small markets and from what I have seen of them I would stay away.

1) same company

2) 1\2 hp is enough if it's balanced correctly. But a little more hp never hurts.

3) Belt openers are quiet and smooth but pricey. Chain drives are imo the most reliable. Screw drive... I have had and will never have again. They are noisy they will drip grease on the car in the summer and in the winter they tend to bind. They are cheap and easy to install.

4) again same company. Remotes can be used on the replacement units of the same brand most of the time.

5) what kind of springs? If they are coil springs they are an easy replacement. Put a scale under the door with the springs disconnected and then go by the chart for the door spring company.
If it is a torsion spring most likely they didn't tighten it enough when it was installed.
Torsion springs are usually a $100 to have someone replace them. Not much more than the retail price of the springs.

6) replace the rollers if they are worn. New quiet nylon ones are a night and day difference.

What is wrong with the existing openers? Bad remote reception which is common on all units now and a new one will not fix it. Put in a chambarlain in my parents house and it wouldn't open the door. I could stand just outside the door with the remote and it wouldn't open. I had to walk around to the side where the window is. And the door is wood so nothing to stop the signal.
They sent out two control boards and then finally a remote antenna kit and they admitted they have had problems since they were forced by the fcc to use a new and bad frequency. The old frequency is for navy use now.

I don't have a garage door or opener, but I found this very informative anyway! Good post.