How Soon We (I, anyway) Forget
Been maybe five years since I made a mitered picture frame. Got burned out maybe 35 years ago when my artistic friends discovered I could make frames. I did little else for over two years, and then swore off, even though the task was simple and the money bought new tools.

Went to make a simple one for the granddaughter's artwork yesterday, and cut both dimensions too large, though I carefully measured and added my usual 1/8" for error. Reduced them by the cut and fit, rather then measure and cut method, and as I went to make the second, it dawned on me that the measurement I was applying to the front of the rabbet was the one I should be using for the rear. I was consistently twice the width of the rabbet too long. It was the consistency that triggered me. Had I not been accurate, I'd have been nibbling all day.

I think I'm still safe down there, just getting stupid. Looked in my book, and it still says "framed dimension less twice the rabbet width plus 1/8." Shoulda looked it up first.

My saw is a left tilt, BTW, but my miter gauge has a long fence and clamped stops, so I feel just fine. When I got it a number of years back, it did take me six months or so to remember I had a right-hand arbor thread.
Yeah, I feel your pain. You'd think it wouldn't be hard to remember simple procedures.

My biggest one is when I'm routing dado's with a hand held router. I often start with the fence on the right --- WRONG --- keep the fence on the left and route going away from you. It's easy for me to remember when I'm routing the outside edge to go the right direction. No excuse sir!

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
I made my first frames about two months ago.

Started out making two frames sized for a picture something like 11x18, or whatever the size is like that.

By the time I got done making mistakes I had two square frames that fit a 7" square picture.

Haven't any idea what will go in them, but they look nice.

Mike