Best way to cut 1/16 off a finished shelf
I am in the process of finishing a bookcase. The shelves are all made, stained and finished (Water based poly). I need to trim about 1/16 off of the side of the shelf so that it will fit perfectly. What is the best way to do that? Table saw? Jointer? The shelf is 14" deep, made of plywood with a 1" thick solid maple face.

Thanks
I'd just chop it off with the miter saw. Tape the finished surface first to help with chipping.
Table saw would be my first choice. I would like it better if I had a sled to cut it on. If not make a longer fence at least for the miter gauge

I would not use a jointer on ply or for that matter end grain.
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I second the table saw choice. If you don't have a slider, or a sled, then now is good time to make a sled.

As mentioned, tape the end to reduce chip out.
I would use my Festool track saw, and have many times for just that task.

Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
Festool T55 use a backing boardas a sacrificial to prevent chipping and tearouts.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
80 tooth Freud Ultra Fine Finish blade on the table saw. Almost zero chipping with a 0 clearance throat plate.
10 seconds at my oscillating edge sander would be how I handle it.
WoodNET... the new safespace
Rockler makes a trim bit with bearings top and bottom. It comes with several different diameters of top bearing, so it is awesome for this sort of trimming. Put on the bearing 1/16 smaller than the bit, run it down the side of the shelf cutting half of the thickness, then reset the height so that the flush bottom bearing removes the rest!
Rockler's Bit

The demo video is mine!

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
I'm surprised nobody has suggested a shooting board. This not only lets you control the amount you remove (down to several thousands), it also gives you an edge that is square to the face of the shelf. Takes a bit longer than a table or miter saw, but gives you more control.
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!