Who is a pro?
I've been around here for a long time and have seen several folks come and go. One thing I don't recall seeing was a post about who actually does this for a living. (And it's been slow lately, so why not)

So who here does this for a living for themselves? I don't mean people that sell a few things on the side (I imagine that's most of us) or people that derive 75% of their income from a pension. Just curious about where the knowledge base comes from and if the state of professional craft in this country is as bad as they say. Myself, I'm a hobbiest. And really since having my daughter I'm more or less just a tool collector!
-Marc

I have been woodworking for a living since I was 15 years oldand will turn 51 this November. My father did it since he returned from the pacific in WWII until he retired in the mid 90's from the same company.
"...cuttin' your presidency off right now. Just quit. Because if this is you helpin' us, then stop helpin' us."
I'm not a pro nor anywhere close, but here are a few members that are (including a few whose business is WW but not necessarily selling furniture or doing finish carpentry). These are just off the top of my head. I know there are quite a few.

Chris Schwarz
Rob Lee
Joel Moskowitz (Tools for Working Wood)
Rob Millard
Dave Diamon
David Charlesworth
JGrout
Evenfall (Rob Hansen)
Adam Cherubini
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I've been a cabinetmaker since 1980.
Professional.
I had a business for thirteen years, and I'm planning on doing it again soon.
I've been a cabinetmaker since 1985. I worked in a museum exhibit shop off and on for 28 years. I got to travel the country installing museums during that time. It was a blast. Currently, I install kitchens and custom millwork.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I have worked as a cabinet maker for the past 22 years.
Don't forget George Wilson who made a living at Williamsburg demonstrating the tree Art of woodworking (and toolmaking amongst a plethy of other activities)

Pedro
I miss nested quotes..........
I have been in the business for 31 years. I worked in shops for 11 years, then opened my own shop 20 years ago. "William Hodge" is my crazy Woodnet alter ego, who waxes his machines with Brazilian Booty wax and sings "When a Man Loves a Woman" while doing it.

I like reading Woodnet, because many people here care about building good stuff, and doing it right. There are many things I see people build here that are way better than the stuff coming out of the professional shops. From design to materials to execution, craftsmen build some great things out of wood. Unfortunately, craftsmanship can get in the way of profits if sales make more money. People don't often want what I see here, or at least they are not willing to pay for it. Keep it up.
I have been in it full time for 30 years, before that it was my hobby since high school, I'm 61
Don
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
I am a cabinetmaker.
I have worked for over 30 years with 2 different companies building & installing cabinets & millwork.
Currently work as a cabinet estimator since recently the arthritis in my knees has gotten worse.

It always works on paper!