A more traditional saw
I promised I would put a square plate on my next classic series dove tail saw just to be more traditional. I just couldn't help myself, however and used black mother of pearl inlays for the saw fasteners. I just never could stay in between the lines.
Smile So there you have it. 38* Ebony closed dovetail. 12" x 2" canted 0.020" plate. Filed the standard 16ppi x 8* rake x 0*fleam. I put a few scratches in it from laying around in my shop. Shop pics. to boot.

BontzSawWorks.net
A traditional dovetail saw is about 9 inches long with an open handle. Adding length adds weight and moment to the saw, which is undesirable for something we flick around like a dovetail saw.
So don't buy one from Ron.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

blackhat said:

So don't buy one from Ron.

Or, OTOH, do, and chop off 3"!!
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Oh wow, that is a beauty I don't care what anyone say's. I wish I could afford that.

Steve
I'd just like to say that this saw is a beauty. I'd be proud to own one like it. Thanks for posting Ron.
Crispy...sweet!!!!!!!!!
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Absolutely love the fasteners against that choice of wood. Gorgeous!
Now that I've seen your square, as gorgeous as it is, I've got to say I prefer your rounded plates.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
wmickley said:

A traditional dovetail saw is about 9 inches long with an open handle. Adding length adds weight and moment to the saw, which is undesirable for something we flick around like a dovetail saw.

Only meant in the sense the plate is square. Not my usual shaped plate. Some "dove tail" saws were in fact even 8". It does add moment to the saw. It also cuts faster with fewer strokes and shaped plates were probably around long before square plates. A traditional tool is only as traditional as the current trend deems it to be and trends are more often than not manipulated by writers, self promoting tool makers, and others with a monetary agenda. ie: marketing
BontzSawWorks.net