Saw sharpening question
Well finished sharpening my 2nd handsaw, this one my first crosscut. Its an 8 point, I filed it with 12* rake and 20* fleam. I took it to an old 2x6 for a test cut and bog there was a TON of nasty blow out on the backside of the cut. I tried a test cut on a hickory board and that was much better. About what I'd expect from an 8 point saw if not a bit better. So my question is, how can I adjust the tooth geometry to produce less blow out in softwoods? I have another crosscut saw to redo that I'd like to set up for sawing softwood specifically.
~ Chris
I usually stick with 15* rake and 25* fleam, your lesser rake -I think- might be the culprit here, especially for softwoods.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Be conservative on your tooth set too. Use just enough to keep the saw from binding in the wood that you intend to use the saw for. Any more than that will result in ragged cut surfaces because the outside tips of the teeth will be dragging on the wood.

It is also for this reason that I set the teeth BEFORE filing the fleam on the teeth. It allows for more consistency in the tooth geometry. Finally, lightly stone the sides of the teeth with a very fine stone. Just a pass or two from heel to toe is all that is needed to remove any burrs.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
Yes on above. 15* rake x 25* fleam is my standard for general cross cuts, but 12 should be ok with added fleam. Set first as setting after will alter the angles. I don't like to stone my cross cuts, but some do. For a general chart, check out Blackburns tools. He used to have a basic chart. Best wishes.
BontzSawWorks.net
Thanks for the feedback. Ill file the next one to your recommendations. I will admit that the set on that last saw does seem to be a bit much. I'm still getting the hang of setting. Im sure that will improve with practice.
~ Chris
I score the cut line all the way around softwood boards, using a utility knife. Almost no blowout occurs when hand sawing. Try it on a 2x4. You'll be surprised. It also will help you stay square in the cut.
cwarner said:

Thanks for the feedback. Ill file the next one to your recommendations. I will admit that the set on that last saw does seem to be a bit much. I'm still getting the hang of setting. Im sure that will improve with practice.

Here's a link to Joel's chart at TFWW

https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/blog...pectra.pdf
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis