Cost to build a shop-?
I know the answers are going to vary wildly. I am looking at a foreclosure home that has one problem. No shop space. But it does have land where I could build one .

Before I get in over my head I was wondering if you all could give me an idea of what the cost for your freestanding shop was. Not all the tools and fine furninishings, but the structure the electric etc..

So how much and what did you get for it. Would want at least a 2 car garage sized shop. I would prefer larger of course but we shall see.

Thanks in advance-

Brad
a lot of things to take into consideration.
what type of structure block, wood, brick, height?
are you doing part of work all the work or none area of the country
i'd say get 3 bids more than one of us have built are own and done it over time some still adding to our shops i know since i retired i am
and plan for future for some reason they are never big enough
i have seen cost per sq./ ft data and it varies just have fun
south vietnam war collage
For rough estimate:
If you're not building it yourself: Call a local barn-builder and get a price per SqFt.
If you're building it, ask one of the BigBoxes to give you a rough estimate on a 24' X 24' barn/shed.

If you're self-building, you might find material such as siding, roofing and electric on C/L and save more.
When I built my shop, I lucked out--a guy was going back to NC after bringing his lumber to Ocala to live. He didn't want to haul it back.
I got 1" thick rough sawn cypress for about $.30/BF and sided my 16' X 32' shop with it.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Every area will be different in prices.
It's been 10 years since I had my 20x20 built. At the time I had bid ranges all over the place. IIRC I had bids from $20 sq. foot all the way up to $45. Quotes were for both pole-barn and stick construction, all with concrete slab, wood sheet siding, a couple windows, man door, 14-16' overhead door, 8' walls, and composite 3-tab roofing. None of the bids included any interior (sheet rock, insulation, etc.) and also, did not include any electrical or plumbing. BTW a metal sided/roofed building could have been cheaper but my needs were for a little bit nicer shop with the wood siding and composite shingle roof.

I ended up with pole-barn construction from concrete floor up to composite roofing for around $8500 built on site. I pulled the electrical and wired the shop myself and also did some insulation. IIRC after it was all said and done I had about $10,500 into the completed shop. That works out to about $26-$27 per sq. foot. At the time that felt like a really good deal for what was built but I have no idea what the current market would look like.

Although, it was long ago and prices will be somewhat regional I hope it helps.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
First: check with the local zoning and/or building departments to determine if there are any restrictions as to the size and type of building allowed on the property you are considering.
500 bux to 5 million would be the range. Kinda like asking how much a car costs? The devil is in the details

6 years ago 32x48 came out around 22K after getting taken by an untrustworthy subcontractor for several k with poor work, and not finishing what he hired on to do. You live and learn, but never try to help a "friend" out, no matter how much he whines and cries about having no money.

Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Bloomington Mike has a long post on the build of his new shop. It's worth reading. He has done virtually the whole thing and is a 'keen' shopper for materials.

Lonnie
mongo said:

I know the answers are going to vary wildly.

So far I'd say you're a genius!

My thought is about half the cost per sq ft of building a house in your area. i.e.: if a house costs $100/sq ft, then $50/sq ft would get you close. So a 500 sq ft shop should be around $25k.

Just a ballpark figure.

Edit to add: the construction industry is in high gear in a lot of areas, so it might be a wait or very costly to get it in a timely manner or just plain very costly.

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
Before I bought my house that already has a large shop we were planning to buy a house and build a shop. My plan was to build a 24 X 40 pole barn structure. The shell and slab were going to be about 14k. My total budget for the project was 25k. I'm guessing everything will be a little more expensive here so you could probably take a few k off that. I will add other than the shell, slab and having foam insulation sprayed all the other labor would be mine. If you are going to factor in someone else doing the work that could get a little more complicated to figure out. I will also say budget extra. I budged 5k more than my material cost because I knew I would add and change things as I went.