What kind of plane is this?
I picked it up recently with someother old planes. Not sure what it does:

I also got this old Bailey No. 5. Is there any way to figure out when it was produced?

This will help you date your #5.

stanley plane flow chart

Also, this is a great resource to learn more about Stanley planes.

Patrick Leach's Blood & Gore
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Here's a couple of resources for dating the Stanley plane-

http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/pdatechart.pdf
http://primeshop.com/access/woodwork/sta...tsynch.htm

A couple things I see (low knob, small adjustment knob, two patent dates?) suggests around 1900, but these charts should nail it for you.

The old plane looks like an adjustable dado plane to cut a groove a set distance from the edge of a board. The wedge looks like a replacement and I don't see an iron.

Phil
Very interesting. Thank you.

The wooden plane is certainly Dutch but with a replacement wedge.
Zachary Dillinger
https://www.amazon.com/author/zdillinger

Author of "On Woodworking: Notes from a Lifetime at the Bench" and "With Saw, Plane and Chisel: Making Historic American Furniture With Hand Tools", 

The #5 is a Type 9 or Type 10, need better pics to say which, circa 1902-'09. Worthy plane.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
My guess would be type 10 (1907 - 1909). The first pic seems to show a frog adjusting screw what was introduced on Bailey planes type 10 IIRC. Type 11 had 3 patent dates already. Type 12 and later ones have high knobs.

Klaus
Dado plane - who was the person who suggested that??? After careful consideration whilst laying in bed this evening it dawned on me it is actually a plough plane. Here's a pic of a modern copy -

Note the grooves in the irons in the pic. They rest on the steel skate bedded in the bottom of the part that holds the iron. I cannot see that for sure in the pics of your plane, but strongly suspect if you pull the wedge, you will find that the skate protrudes into the back side of the slot for the iron to fit in this groove and support it.

Sheesh - some of the people that supposedly offer advice here.

Phil
Phil,

Don't beat yourself up over it. It was a perfectly honest mistake! I'm sorry you lost sleep over this. And thank you for your careful consideration. Googling has now turned up a lot of info on this type of plane. I look foward to playing with them both.

Not to worry, David. It was one of those slap the forehead, "DOH!" kind of moments. Good luck on finding reasonably priced irons if you decide to make it a user.

Phil