A whole load of bowls seen on the road today
Some disassembly required.

So much wood, so little time. <sigh>
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
Just beginning disassembly of next year's firewood here, too. Cutting was on high ground again, so lots of hard maple. I stoke once a day at ten below when I have hard maple.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I have a pile of walnut about that size waiting for me in the barn. Someday ............

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
SceneryMaker said:

Some disassembly required.

So much wood, so little time. <sigh>

I say stuff like this all the time... driving down the road and I'll suddenly exclaim "Look at that gorgeous bowl!" and it'll be a dude with a pickup bed full of firewood, one of which caught my eye as likely having interesting grain. Most of my family has quit paying what little attention they used to, though they wonder as I'm seemingly the only one who can see what's inside wood.
"I'm glad being trapped in the woods hunted by an insane militia made you ask the big life questions."

Check out my Project Blog
Nice load of bowls.
If that was black Cherry I would be SOOOO happy or even some figured Maple. That looked like Ash and it looks good too.

I think I have finally realized there is no such thing as PLAIN wood or Pen blanks since so much can be done or added to it.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Arlin Eastman said:

If that was black Cherry I would be SOOOO happy or even some figured Maple. That looked like Ash and it looks good too.

I think I have finally realized there is no such thing as PLAIN wood or Pen blanks since so much can be done or added to it.

Well, They do modify color and pattern over time. This is ash after a season. Some fun, too.

The birch looks good after a year and a half.

Fresh may not always be best!
I never had any Ash turn like that before and that is pretty nice.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
MichaelMouse said:

Well, They do modify color and pattern over time. This is ash after a season. Some fun, too.

So did you stain, dye, or chemically treat the ash to get it to look like that? I've turned ash that's been on the woodpile for 3-4 years and it never gets anything but pale. What did you use to fill the pores so effectively?
"I'm glad being trapped in the woods hunted by an insane militia made you ask the big life questions."

Check out my Project Blog
It's Fraxinus nigra, or "black ash." Watch the enunciation. Summer cut with the sap up, so there may have been some fermentation along the way. The wood spalts in a heartbeat, like white birch.

http://www.wood-database.com/wp-content/...sealed.jpg