Reminder to empty the DC container before leaving shop for day.....
Apparently one of the local cabinet shops had an issue this morning....looks like the dumpster for the DC started up....I didnt take the time to find out exactly what happened, pictures pretty much tell the story.

I know I have a metal can and I empty mine every day before leaving the shop for just this reason.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Spontaneous combustion or some other source of ignition?
So you think it is safer to use a metal bit instead of the cardboard one that came with my Oneida?

Usually a machine fault (Bad bearing etc) or metal getting into a planer that sends sparks / hot metal fragments through the dust collector and into the hopper.
ianab said:

Usually a machine fault (Bad bearing etc) or metal getting into a planer that sends sparks / hot metal fragments through the dust collector and into the hopper.

That would be my guess.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Looks like fine sawdust off the sander(s). I've been at a couple of mills where we had fires in big storage bins, we had had an automatic flooding system at one place but digging out a huge dust bin full of wet sawdust by hand took a week of downtime. Our ductwork all had automatic Halon flooding to prevent explosions.

The other mill had a smoldering fire in a large bin, the FD opened an access hatch near the top, the firefighters were on a boom arm, and when they shot water into the dust it blew out a big plume of flame that engulfed the firefighters. Pretty scary looking but no one was injured.
I bet they didn't have it grounded.
Macky

The wheel of Life is like a toilet-paper roll, the closer to the end you get, the faster it goes around.

McApple said:

I bet they didn't have it grounded.

Interesting. It's quite difficult to get a fire going in an environment like that. Sawdust is much harder to get burning than many think. I have trash cans of cherry dust and chips I use in the smoker and grill and if you sprinkle a handful onto a good fire it will smother it.

Really that would have provided smoke for a smoker box for months. They could have smoked allot of brisket with that.....
Robert Adams said:

Really that would have provided smoke for a smoker box for months. They could have smoked allot of brisket with that.....

You don't want walnut or exotics dust in it, though...