Face Frame
I'm making a face frame that's 84" wide x 28" top to bottom. There will be openings for six equally-sized drawers (openings are 25 7/8" wide x 11 1/4" top to bottom).

Is there a protocol for constructing it either with an 84" middle rail
with 4 stiles attached - OR - with 2 - 28" stiles and 3 - 25 7/8" rails attached to them?

Neither. You need two 28" stiles connected by two rails that will give you a total width of 84". Now you need 3 mullions (mid stiles) between the top and bottom rails. Then you need rails between the mullions and stiles to define your drawer openings.

John
If I'm reading him right he has three openings so just 2 middle stiles.
You are right; my bad. 2 mullions. Thanks.

John
This is what I meant in my second proposal.

I've made hundreds of face frames over 40 years, and, somehow, this just occurred to me. Must be the symmetry of this cabinet.

Thanks for your input.
I'm in agreement with John. Of course he gave a corrected version, and that's what I'm referring to.
I've always referred to vertical components between rails as muntins. I think that's a Britishism, and I think I got that from Hayward. I was young, read British woodworking books, and the rest is history.
I've always viewed this sort of challenge, or decision, as one similar to grammar. An improperly constructed face frame that's well built will probably work just fine. The only problem is, it looks like, "I don't gots none" sounds.
I don't know if there is a clear definition of mullion and muntin as far as face frames go. With windows, a mullion refers to the vertical member that separates two window units. Muntin and mullion seem to be used interchangeably for the grid work separating panes of glass in a sash. Muntin also is used for the vertical piece of wood separating panels in a frame and paneled wall. A face frame is just like that, minus the panels, and that's why I used the term muntin to describe the intermediate, vertical members in the face frame the OP asked about. The intermediate horizontal members I would call mullions, but I might be even shakier ground there as mullion might be a term only used with respect to windows.

Anyone have the gospel definition of muntin and mullion?

John
No, you are confused. Mullion is a stew made with potatoes, onions and muntin.

Doug