Stove Top Cleaner
I've abused my gas stove top. Burned on carbon like yuck.
Black powder coat finish.
What can I do to restore this?
Ag
Oven cleaner
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
You mean just spray on some "Easy Off"?
I will give it a go...
Yep. Should be porcelain over steel, just like an over.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
I'll let you know....
I clean mine with Vim and a scotch brite pad, the green one. Gets done every day.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Some of the oven cleaners work better when the components are hot. So you might want to spray and put it in the oven.

What happens if you put the grids in a self-cleaning oven? Will it burn off the gunk or trash your oven?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
It is not the grids.
They are messy too, but I dont worry about them.
It is the top of the range itself. Around the burners. Not removable.
Ag
My first order of play is to take some heavy towels and lay them on the surface and saturate them with water. Keep them wet overnight and then try cleaning the surface.

The alternative is to saturate the towels with a solvent or cleaner and leave it overnight. WD 40 cleans many things and does not smell to bad.

Rubbing alcohol does too but evaporates quickly. If you are going to use alcohol then cover the entire mess with a sheet of plastic to keep it saturated overnight.

I would try these before I tried anything more radical.

Oh, and I have a housekeeper come in once a week and I avoid that issue entirely. I would have the same situation if it were not for my faithful housekeeper.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
If is an older gas stove, with a pilot light, I'd be very careful with anything in a spray can, or alcohol, as mentioned.