Thoughts from RAS rippers
Pirate said:

...and a featherboard to prevent kickback, any tips, or techniques?

I use two featherboards; one on the table and one on the fence.

The one on the table stops about an inch from the front of the blade. The one on the fence is a wider one and starts about an inch or so in front of the blade and extends to a couple of inches past the blade. - A poor man's board buddies.
Pirate said:

Yeah, I think the band saw would be a better bet.
Recently got the ras, and am getting carried away wanting to use it!

Save the RAS for the cross cuts and dados/rabbets. Back in the day 40 years ago when it was the only big power tool folks had, they pushed its limits, no need to do that now. Just price out one ER visit and it'll make sense.
While I'm a proponent of the RAS, I would try to find an alternative method. I've ripped on mine, but not for a long time and never anything that thick. If you have other means, such as a bandsaw, then that would be the way to go.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I've used a lot of dangerous machines in my mechanic's career and a couple while working wood.

I was given a RAS, tried using it and was not impressed. Tried ripping none short board. One time. Standing out of the danger zone.

Gave that saw to a person I really did not like much.
K. L, McReynolds said:

.... Tried ripping none short board. One time. Standing out of the danger zone.:

Gave that saw to a person I really did not like much.

I have heard stories. My experience has been different. The RAS and a drill press were my only two power tools for about 30 years. Went through several house remodels, mitering, crosscutting, and ripping. Have had it climb at times, but have never experienced a kickback.

After reading Jon Eakes's book, joining a couple of woodworking and Delphi's RAS forums, and getting better blades I haven't had any climbing anymore either.
Construction materials tend to be a lot wonkier than furniture grade hardwood. Ripping that stuff on a TS scares me. Would never consider it on my RAS.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
My Dad used to do this all the time and it always made me exceedingly uncomfortable.

As many others have mentioned, I would find another way to rip the boards you describe.

I would use my band saw, but that is me.
chris
The minute that board touched the blade, it was shot through my shop wall(T1-11 siding 15 feet away).

I've had a couple kickbacks on my TS, but nothing anywhere close to that.
I no longer have a RAS but really miss it.. I've had some really good ones and really bad ones. 14" turret arm Delta to 9" Sears.. Cast iron to aluminum. Anyway, IMO, assuming full length timbers, Kickback is almost impossible with only 1.5hp and a board that heavy. Just not enough power to move that mass. But you will be loading the saw due to probable blade pinching as the wet timber moves when ripped.
ripping on a RAS was probably the scariest thing I've ever done in woodworking. I was in the Air Force, so i could have gone to the hobby shop and used a tablesaw, but for some reason I never did.

Featherboards would have made a difference, I think