Dibbler
This tool I made is called a dibbler. You, there, in back, get your mind out of the gutter! It’s used to poke holes in the… Let me rephrase that. It’s purpose is to plant seeds… Okay, I think it’s safe to say that the lines are markers to know how deep in the hole … Forget it. You can learn all you want to know about garden dibblers on the Internet.

Hank Gillette
Hi Hank and good to meet you.

I have seen them for sale at home and garden centers and were used for planting bulbs at certain depth.

I wish I could use one and maybe sit on the ground to plant them since I love flowers of all kinds.

Hope to see you posting more.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Great idea ,Hank. Buddy of mine is a gardener and just getting in to turning so passed it on to him. Nice job, what kind of wood and did you put a finish on it?

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Used one to help in planting my sun flower forest. Most people have some sunflowers, I have a forest of them. Non stop activity with birds, bees and squirrels...

robo hippy
Pull the tail stock a bit farther down the ways and make spurtles. Be prepared to answer questions from non Scots!

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=spu...e&FORM=IGRE
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
chips ahoy said:

Great idea ,Hank. Buddy of mine is a gardener and just getting in to turning so passed it on to him. Nice job, what kind of wood and did you put a finish on it?

Mel

I this one with a piece of poplar from pallet wood. Since it was kind of a prototype (and is going to be stuck in the ground anyway), I didn’t go for maximum smoothness. You can see some fuzzy areas where the handle transitions to the blade and at the top of the handle.

I used a friction finish, but I don’t know how well that or any other finish was last when it is used.

This is a good beginner project. Turning doesn’t get much easier than this, since anything that comes to a near point will work. The lines are nice, but not really necessary.
Hank Gillette
robo hippy said:

Used one to help in planting my sun flower forest. Most people have some sunflowers, I have a forest of them. Non stop activity with birds, bees and squirrels...

I saw another tool for doing the same function that had a board with evenly spaced pegs on it, allowing 40 holes to be made at once. Something like that might be more useful for your forest.
Hank Gillette
MichaelMouse said:

Pull the tail stock a bit farther down the ways and make spurtles. Be prepared to answer questions from non Scots!

That’s on my to do list, along with a honey dipper.
Hank Gillette
I sell them on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121986565472?ssP...1558.l2648
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
Nicely done, these kinds of projects are great skill builders!
Steve K