Looking for 5/8"-18 Left Handed Bolt
I was wondering if anybody has a source for 5/8" bolts with 18 threads per inch with a left-handed (reverse) thread. My Delta 46-460 Lathe tailstock started 'slipping' and upon taking it apart, discovered that all the threads were nearly flat. Called and they're sending me one under warranty, but Delta is moving and says they can't get it out until late June at the earliest.

If I can buy a bolt for a few bucks, I could easily machine the part I need, but can't seem to find the right one. Tried Home Depot, Fastenal, and ACE Hardware. Just glad I caught it now - after November, the lathe is out of warranty and the part is over $70!!!
"I'm glad being trapped in the woods hunted by an insane militia made you ask the big life questions."

Check out my Project Blog
You might try McMaster-Carr. I didn't see LH 5/8-18 listed but they would probably know where to get one.
Rodney
Here you go buddy

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0123441

I have bought from before and they are great to deal from.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
That is 5/8-11 he is looking for 5/8-18.
Try here:

https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Detail...duct=13553
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
You could ask Monster Lathe Tools if they could tap a replacement nut with a left-hand thread of your choice.

They sell the replacement nuts for mini-lathes and they are a nice upgrade. I expect that the nuts for their hollowing systems would work as well for a full-sized lathe.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Have you tried ereplacments?

Are you sure the thread is 5/8"-18? Most parts for the lathe are listed as metric
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Thanks for the replies guys.

Actually already called Fastenal; work right next door from my local store. Only thing they had was threaded rod, but it was stainless & over $100.

eReplacementParts does have the part, and for only $13.35! Not as good as $2 for a regular bolt, but it'll do and I don't have to cut the head off & grind a flat. It's called a 'lead screw' on their site.

I'm pretty sure I got the size right. Tried the metric thread gauges in the tap & die set I have, but was unable to find a match. Thought it was metric because everything else on the lathe seems to be (frustrating because I don't have much metric stuff in my stash of bolts/screws), but went to the english set and the 18 thread gauge dropped right in. The major diameter of the screw doesn't match what's listed in the machinists handbook for that size bolt, but I figured it's because it's so worn. (It's distressing to think of the implications of overall quality that it wore as much as it did in just five years of intermittent turning... most of the threads are basically gone.)
"I'm glad being trapped in the woods hunted by an insane militia made you ask the big life questions."

Check out my Project Blog
The Woodnet Brain Trust strikes again

I learned about ereplacments here and have found it very useful
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Ruler2112 said:

Thanks for the replies guys.

Actually already called Fastenal; work right next door from my local store. Only thing they had was threaded rod, but it was stainless & over $100.

eReplacementParts does have the part, and for only $13.35! Not as good as $2 for a regular bolt, but it'll do and I don't have to cut the head off & grind a flat. It's called a 'lead screw' on their site.

I'm pretty sure I got the size right. Tried the metric thread gauges in the tap & die set I have, but was unable to find a match. Thought it was metric because everything else on the lathe seems to be (frustrating because I don't have much metric stuff in my stash of bolts/screws), but went to the english set and the 18 thread gauge dropped right in. The major diameter of the screw doesn't match what's listed in the machinists handbook for that size bolt, but I figured it's because it's so worn. (It's distressing to think of the implications of overall quality that it wore as much as it did in just five years of intermittent turning... most of the threads are basically gone.)

Planned Obsolescence.
It's a shame most things are engineered that way these days. You mentioned the warranty was almost up. You probably were using it a little more than predicted. If you had used it just a little less it would have lasted just long enough for the warranty to expire.
Rodney