Drilling/Tapping Sawstop table--or offer better way?
I have a sawstop and I don't want to mess it up. I also need/want a router table insert in the end, which I have. Standard setup.

What I also have from WAAAAY back is an Incra twin linear. I like it, and want to use it. The hiccup is that the bracket the fence rides in was originally designed to be screwed into a wood top. What I'm thinking is to drill/tap four holes into the saw stop top to hold this piece.

Really what I'd like to do is drill the holes, insert a sleeve, and then put pins into the twin linear base so that it's a simple pick up put down.

Question: does such a drill/tap operation risk warping the table?
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Check very carefully where you intend to drill the holes. Make sure there's nothing important on the bottom or just below the hole location.

If nothing's in the way the drilling should be fairly straight forward, use a sharp drill bit and some lube and it should be simple.

But I have no idea if if would interfere with the Sawstop function. I'd ask them -- you should not be the first to wonder.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
If new check first to see if it voids warranty. Drilling the hole isn't difficult, as WT suggested just make sure adding something where you intended to place this doesn't hamper function. I have added a number of fences, router tables, and other add on's to TS's through the years, and I prefer still to make a frame of wood for support, and really minimize extra holes in cast iron tops, and usually use the rails for the fence to screw into, or bolt on angle iron to support the frame.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Use the rails. Brilliant!
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

My saw stop has a 30" deep table making typical 27" table saw wings fall almost exactly 3" short.

Fortunately 15 series 80/20 is almost exactly 1.5" and the track makes it easy to get just enough play in mounting to use it on both sides with 5/16" carriage bolts.

With the added benefit of the top of the 80/20 being available for a router table fence mount.

I happened to have an old extension wing that I drilled holes in to use as a router wing, and this mounting process worked great.

Duke
Duke, do you have a picture?

Here you go,

I don't use the 80/20 for mounting a fence, although you could easily do so.

I use a fence that is mounted with a couple of the switchable magnets designed for dial indicators that little machine shop sells.

The 80/20 is nice for mounting the switch for the router.

Duke
Manufactures, people, shop owners and myself have been drilling and tapping cast iron table tops for power feeders and other accessories as long as I can remember.

Go for it. Just like somebody said check underneath before drill and avoid hitting a web.
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
ruffcutt said:

Manufactures, people, shop owners and myself have been drilling and tapping cast iron table tops for power feeders and other accessories as long as I can remember.

Go for it. Just like somebody said check underneath before drill and avoid hitting a web.

X2.