Anyone here build a guitar?
Phil S. said:

Yup - take a break between HS and college and spend 5 months at Roberto Venn in Phoenix. Might become a profession instead of a hobby though.

Forget roberto van. All that place does is teach you how to sand. We have had two apprentices from there and they were worthless! Save the money and find a real guitar builder to apprentice with.
"...cuttin' your presidency off right now. Just quit. Because if this is you helpin' us, then stop helpin' us."
Check out http://mimf.com/ lots of good stuff.
Yep - I have built several acoustic guitars - steel string and classical, starting from the rough lumber. Never went electric, though.
If you are more specific on what kind your grandson wants to build, that will help. Meanwhile, check out stewmac.com and lmii.com to familiarize yourself with reputable parts and tool providers. You can source everything from them if that it the route you wish to take.
And I second the Cumpiano book for acoustic guitar building.
I don't have a clue. My daughter told me all this on Sunday. All I know is that he is a southpaw. I've seen him play standard and electric
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"
                                                                                                                        Winston Churchill
Marc Adams school of woodworking offers a week long class on making a guitar. I've never attended, but my brother-in-law has been to the class and enjoyed it so much the first time he took it again.
Don't know where you're located, Joe, but Palomar College is just north of San Diego. http://www2.palomar.edu/woodworking/clas...trument-making/ Great facility, great instructors. The Del Mar Fair opens this week-end and Palomar has student exhibits with guitars made there...so does San Diego Fine Woodworker's Association.... Design in Wood exhibition.
I and my grandson are currently located in the murder capital of the US, Chicagah (this weekend saw 7 killed and 68 more shot). Come August, the lad will be attending Ohio State.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"
                                                                                                                        Winston Churchill
a second recommendation for John Ressler's guitar building class at Marc Adams School. I've made dulcimers with him, and done 3 acoustic guitars. Most complex things I have ever made, but each step doable. Ray Knight
joemac said:

I and my grandson are currently located in the murder capital of the US, Chicagah (this weekend saw 7 killed and 68 more shot). Come August, the lad will be attending Ohio State.

This almost sounds like Orlando anymore, it has been crazy here also. Glad I live out in the country sorta speak.

Steve
rayknight said:

a second recommendation for John Ressler's guitar building class at Marc Adams School. I've made dulcimers with him, and done 3 acoustic guitars. Most complex things I have ever made, but each step doable. Ray Knight

I'll third this. I took his class (twice) and took the jigs class, where we made side bending jig, body forms and neck jigs and the rest... for continuing luthiery.

I would highly recommend Marc Adams' class with John Ressler.
"I don't have time to measure twice!" My ex-coworker.