Yet another driveway problem
We have an asphalt driveway. About 9 years old. It Is holding up well, but this year we have 4 humps, smaller than a dinner plate. Given where they are I suspect they are suckers from a neighbor's tree trying to sprout. I plan on digging between the driveway and the trees, and cut any roots I find. These are poplar trees, so I think the roots are shallow. We had sprouts outside of the driveway several years ago in the general area.
Any suggestions what I should treat the cut portion of the roots with to help kill them?

General suggestions?

Be sure and not use a systemic chemical that can kill the tree. The tree may then fall on your house.

There are root killers for drain pipes at just about any box store.

I would ask your nearest nursery or county agent for advise to be sure.
[blockquote]daddo said:

Be sure and not use a systemic chemical that can kill the tree. The tree may then fall on your house.

The only thing the tree could fall on is my fence. Or one of the many cars the neighbor's kid has collected. What kind of systemic product should I not use?

goaliedad said:

[blockquote]daddo said:

The only thing the tree could fall on is my fence. Or one of the many cars the neighbor's kid has collected. What kind of systemic product should I not use?

The kind that are systemic.

I don't know about the chemicals myself, I just know there are systemic ones that may kill the whole tree and some for just contact killing.
When I lived in Illinois, a neighbor had a row of poplars next to their house and driveway. They took the trees out after two lightning strikes hit the house. The roots continued to grow for years.

They also had an asphalt driveway, and experiences similar bumps and mini-volcanos popping up for several years. They handled it on the cheap and didn't treat roots, or even grind the stumps. Eventually it did stop.

To keep you out of that situation, you need to sever the roots on your property and install a root barrier to prevent future growth (unless your neighbor removes the trees). Then, you will need to treat your side of the roots with a systemic herbicide. Depending on the distance, you might be able to hit your roots away from the trees, but there is a chance you'll injure the trees as well.
Shame on the men who can court exemption from present trouble and expense at the price of their own posterity's liberty! - Samuel Adams
Mandrake- thanks for your input. The cuts will be far enough away from the trees that I am not concerned about hurting the trees. I had not thought about putting in a barrier