Help with a deck plan
Looking for some thoughts on building a deck. Currently there is a 7 in step down from the back door onto a concrete patio that is 9x16. 9 feet away from the house, 16 feet along the house. I want to put a deck that is 16x20(16 away from the house, 20 along the house). What would be the best way to go about dealing with the concrete pad?

Ideally my understanding is that I want to keep a 3-4 inch drop to step down on the deck and this is where the problem comes in. My thought was to pour footers on the outside where my beam would go as normal . But to accomdate the concrete pad I would notch the joists so they were full on the outside of the patio but only about 3 inches on top of the patio. Also have the joists rest on a small thin piece of pvc trim to allow space between the joists and patio for drainage. I would also do the same thing with the ledger board, use it's full width outside of the patio area but notch it out where it's above the patio.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated
Apologies if this doesn't quite target what you are aiming at, but a pair of alternative ideas would be:

1) Demolish the patio.
2) Design a separate patio and deck. I had a house with a situation that sounds quite similar. We left the patio and built the deck along the house at a higher elevation. To get to the wooden deck, you crossed the patio and made two steps. Part of the driver in that design was a limited elevation. Homes in my area on slab on grade. Your doors are never more than 3" above dirt.
Shame on the men who can court exemption from present trouble and expense at the price of their own posterity's liberty! - Samuel Adams
Thanks but only looking at building over the patio.
3. Bring the elevation of the new deck higher for a better shot at the framing issues> 2x6 sleepers and 2x4 joists

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
Are you saying the pad sits above grade?
I noticed on contractor talk you say the pad is 14" thick?
Yes, the pad sits above the ground about 12 inches. Then about 7 inches to bottom of the door.

So full joists and posts aren't a problem outside of the patio area.
I'm curious about the 3-4" step down at the door. I'd never heard that. Some friends have an old deck, maybe a half inch below the bottom of the door, and it seems to be just fine. I built mine the same way, and it seems fine.
Seems like it would simplify things if you did it that way.
Yea,I built mine about 25 years ago just an inch or so below the door threshold.
No problems.
Just read a lot that for snow melting and hard rain it was better but I agree it would simplify if I only dropped a half inch to an inch.

You think just use 2x6s for joists spaced close together will do it?
If you build a deck you will have to maintain it. Do it in brick pavers and just rake the leaves off it in the fall. It's a much better look too.