Will hinges be OK on a box that is out of square
Hi,

I made a small jewelry box with mitered corners. I used the painters-tape-as-clamps method for the first time while gluing it together, expecting that if the miters came out OK then the box would be square, and besides it isn't clear to me how to correct for out-of-square when using tape as a clamp.

The box came out somewhat out of square, about 3/16" over 10 ".

I've not sanded the outsides or cut the top off yet.

I plan to use Brusso box hinges with this, will they still operate OK given the out of squareness of the box?? If not, maybe I am better off converting it to a lift-lid style box instead.

Thanks.....Mike

Sure. The back is straight? Then no problem.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
+1

If it makes you feel better, put a piece of tape on the back where hinges would go and open and close it.
if it looks like this it will still work fine

If I interpret the pic correctly, the back side of the box is curved. In that case, the only way your hinges will work is if they are lined up along a straight line. That may require you adding a shim to one of the hinges.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I see the pic more like Firebee's parallelogram Allan, so I think the hinges will work as they are.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
Remake the box you will be more satisfied.
Firebee said:

OP here...and yes it looks like this. Back isn't concave or curved.

By naked eye I cannot tell the box is out of square, hence I do not think it needs to be tossed.

Picked up the hinges yesterday. Sometime next week will have them installed, then onto the interior trays.

I started this four weeks ago, hoping to have it done by daughters H.S. graduation in three days. So much for that idea

Thanks all for the replies.....Mike
mikefm101 said:

[blockquote]Firebee said:

OP here...and yes it looks like this. Back isn't concave or curved.

By naked eye I cannot tell the box is out of square, hence I do not think it needs to be tossed.

Picked up the hinges yesterday. Sometime next week will have them installed, then onto the interior trays.

I started this four weeks ago, hoping to have it done by daughters H.S. graduation in three days. So much for that idea

Thanks all for the replies.....Mike

[/blockquote]

Imperfections makes it one of a kind.