Need some Peace saw advice
Fellow has what appears in photos to be a Harvey Peace #40 dovetail saw. The blade is straight but is pretty used up. It is even with the bottom of the handle and appears to taper to about 1 1/4"at the toe. The horns appear to be undamaged, with usual misc dents, scratches and bruises on the handle.

What is a fair price for it?
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"
                                                                                                                        Winston Churchill
Very hard to say without photos, Joe. Can you post any?

Peace saws sell for a good amount if they are in excellent condition- usually in the $100-150 range. If there are any defects at all that price drops drastically.
www.hyperkitten.com Funny Name, Good Stuff.

Old Tools, Woodworking, Blog, Tools for Sale.

Here are the pictures that I have:

" />

" />

" />

Is it worth $50?
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"
                                                                                                                        Winston Churchill
No, you can find better Harvey Peace saws on ebay.

The blade is too used up, unless you want to get a replacement blade from Blacky's Boy.

I am not sure I would give $20 for it.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
Thanks for the advice. I will take a pass on this one.
                                                                                                                        Winston Churchill
Martin S. said:

No, you can find better Harvey Peace saws on ebay.
The blade is too used up, unless you want to get a replacement blade from Blacky's Boy.
I am not sure I would give $20 for it.

I agree completely.. It would be a fun project to restore, but if you factor in your time and the cost of a new plate then you probably cant' spend more than $20 on it. It's not a rare saw so there's not much collector value in it as-is.

Josh
www.hyperkitten.com Funny Name, Good Stuff.

Old Tools, Woodworking, Blog, Tools for Sale.

Yup, definitely a project saw. But with a new plate, it would be pretty cool. What's they guy asking for it? If you can snag it for $25 or $30, its worth considering.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
He came down to $40 and no lower. I really don't need another project. Haven't finished the one I started last year.
                                                                                                                        Winston Churchill
You did not mention what you would be doing with the saw.
A small blade like that would make a good dovetail saw possibly. Look at the blade on a Gramercy saw.

1 1/4" would cut most dovetails.

Someone thought quite highly of this saw for a good reason. They sharpened it a lot. It is fairly early judging by the split bolts and the hook on the handle.

Mark
joemac said:

He came down to $40 and no lower. I really don't need another project. Haven't finished the one I started last year.

Did he say how thick the saw plate was? Is it local to you?
BontzSawWorks.net