best way to handle dried glue on cherry
Hi all,

I'm building a wine cabinet out of cherry with multiple mortise and tenon joints. I probably made a big mistake by trying to do the glue up by myself when I could have used some help. In rushing to get everything together and properly clamped several of the joints had more squeeze out than others. Bottom line: there are several joints with glue that has dried. Can you give me an idea on the best way to get rid of the glue, keeping in mind some of the tight corners would require sanding cross grain.
Thanks
Mikey
Use a sharp chisel to cut most of it away. As long as you keep the back of the chisel flat it shouldn't cut into the wood. After that take a folded piece of sand paper or a scraper to get in the corners. You can also use your chisel as a scraper.
I found a neat trick on a festool forum, that is to slightly Hegel edges of joints is it will not show so the glue has some where to go that isn't visable. Before that I used a chisel plane to remove glue.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
"Hegel edges of joints" means what?

John
I have heard that a heat gun will soften yellow glue that has dried. I have not tried this myself. Use a card scraper instead of sandpaper if needed when going cross the grain.
mike
Thanks, all.

As usual, this forum comes to the rescue.

Mikey
jteneyck said:

John

Mis-fingered "bevel", I guess.
jteneyck said:

John

And a big hairy Gesundheit to you too
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Bevel. Stupid auto complete got me yet again.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
A small ultraviolet flashlight sold on amazom for about 15 bucks will show dried glue flouresent in a dark room. Might be a good tool for making sure you've got it all.