Finish for Stairs
Hey gang....I'm going to be refinishing the staircase at my house. Is there a consensus on what the best top coat would be that will hold up to daily use?
Several coats of Polyurethane.

And figure on redoing the bullnose after a few years, depending on usage.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
id suggest a satin sheen,too. it doesnt show the wear like gloss will.
Waterlox original formula if you have the time and can put up with the smell.

Twinn
Will post for food.
theeviltwinn said:

Waterlox original formula if you have the time and can put up with the smell.

Twinn

This is what I used.. Yah, stinky for a while but the finish holds up incredibly well to abuse by kids and dogs running up and down it.
Be careful. Smooth finishes are very slippery. Particularly so if you are wearing socks. I would suggest a floor finish. They tend to be formulated to be less slippery.
Howie.........
I use shellac,dries to the touch in less than 20 minutes,per coat.
I generally brush a 1-1/2 lb cut 3 to 4 times.The finish is shiny ,you can buff it to a matte finish if you wish.
mike
I used the stuff they use on bowling alleys; Fabulon. It dries real fast and is hard. I do not know if it's still available. If not - use poly floor finish.

If time is important then shellac will work - it's also really easy to recoat when needed.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Poly is my first choice. But if you have pets the steps are going to be too slippery for them and they risk falling down the entire flight. Also kids wearing socks are at risk.

Dog's hind legs angle forward and only allow them to descend stairs using the last 2" of the steps (larger breeds like German Shepherds). The rear legs' "elbows hit the higher step forcing the foot pads to use just the limited end of the steps.

I had my German Shepherd fall down a full flight of steps (just a bloody nose) before I realized the need for the carpet runner.

http://www.localpuppybreeders.com/wp-con...ck_72850852.jpg

I prefer poly finish plus carpet runner with hardware: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Zoroufy-Plate...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I converted my stairs to wood and milled the treads from rough cut lumber. I stained them to match the floor and finished with MinWax Oil Modified Waterbased Poly. That was a year ago and the finish has stood up really well against kids and dogs. Water based finishes will dry much faster and leave a lot less odor in the house. Plus it will be easy to fix if needed.