Suggestions for an animal control problem..
Some have said a dish of cola will poison raccoons. true or old wives tail? It wouldn't cost much to try.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
Foggy said:

Some have said a dish of cola will poison raccoons. true or old wives tail? It wouldn't cost much to try.

Coke with fly bait. Drops them dead. But works on cars and dogs too.

Check at Tractor Supply or similar stores

I wouldn't mind killing a few cars ( ). While the chances of it being it coon are very high, it's not a given. There is some chance it may be a cat, and I'm not at all sure they would drink the cola....still; I'll put that on the list of tricks to try.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Why is it coming up on the deck? Food dishes or some other attractant?
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

fredhargis said:

I wouldn't mind killing a few cars ( ). While the chances of it being it coon are very high, it's not a given. There is some chance it may be a cat, and I'm not at all sure they would drink the cola....still; I'll put that on the list of tricks to try.

My bil and his neighbor were over run with raccoons. The bandits were trashing the fields of corn. Theyused the fly bait and coke mix. He told me they found dead 'coons right at the bowl of poison. I would be very careful if there are pets in the area- I suspect it might only take one taste to kill a cat or small dog. If I were you I would be looking for a live trap

You can identify the animal by looking at the scat. You can find ID charts online. You can also dust fine sand in the area and pick up a track for ID. Once you ID it, you have a better chance of getting rid of it. My guess it's a fox marking it's territory. Do you have a dog that uses those steps?
blackhat said:

No idea. The place does have a lot of Koi ponds (11 small ones, and a 3/4 acre pond that's also full of them...different problem). But there's nothing put out that would attract them. They were doing this before we moved in, maybe it was something the PO did that set the pattern.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
fredhargis said:

[blockquote]blackhat said:

No idea. The place does have a lot of Koi ponds (11 small ones, and a 3/4 acre pond that's also full of them...different problem). But there's nothing put out that would attract them. They were doing this before we moved in, maybe it was something the PO did that set the pattern.

[/blockquote]

My little furry masked friend has a nightly travel pattern. I can see it in the grass, where he enters my yard and leaves under a gate. the grass is crushed in one direction. Creature of habit...that is where they poop...change it's pattern. We did with the crushed red pepper, cayenne pepper should work too. Now it poops in the garden.

It ain't no cat!

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
As noted earlier, coons can tear up a trap. I've seen them go through new roofs or make their own hole through the side of a house. Don't buy a cheap trap. You'll only make a problem raccoon that's also trap shy.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

I have no intention of trapping the critter....it's either it goes away or it dies. My first attempts (after the threat of rain goes away) will be the cayenne pepper, we'll see how that goes. No success and it's on to the coke/fly bait thing.