Easy wood tools parting tool
Has anyone used EWT parting tool? If so i was wondering what they thought about it.
I have one and it works as advertised. I am pleased with it
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"
                                                                                                                        Winston Churchill
Seen several ads for 20% off until Father's Day.
I have one. Works fine. I haven't abused it yet (no heavy use). The carbide cutter is actually wedged in. It comes with a tool you use to insert the carbide cutter. Other than longer life with the carbide, there's nothing special about it over any other parting tool. As far as turning tools go, a parting tool is about the easiest to sharpen. My favorite parting tools are a very slender narrow one and a bedan. I know a bedan isn't really a formal parting tool, but it's a great tool to make tenons in spindle work.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Happy birthday Allan.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I was being a nice guy to someone I was teaching how to turn and gave him my EWT tools to start with.

I now regret it and wish I had them back but I never had the parting tool so I can not say how it works.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I’ve knocked the carbide insert out of mine twice. I found it the first time, but it’s still (presumably) on the floor somewhere after the second time. Other than that, it works great.
Hank Gillette
About the long term viability of EWT and availability of new cutters for the parting tool.

This is because the parent company (Pony) closed shop last month, except for the EWT division.

Personally we have D-Way parting tools and really like them.
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
Have Baden, diamond, regular 1/4”, & thin parting tools which work well. All four parting tools cost less than one Easy Wood tool or close to that. Don't know bought over long period of time!
Bill
n7bsn said:

About the long term viability of EWT and availability of new cutters for the parting tool.

This is because the parent company (Pony) closed shop last month, except for the EWT division.

Personally we have D-Way parting tools and really like them.

I believe that EWT uses a standard parting tool insert that can be bought from any metalworking carbide insert supplier. Same thing for most of their inserts, so I really don't believe long term viability is an issue even if EWT were to go out of business. As a matter of fact, while glancing through Grizzly's online outlet store, their replacement square carbide cutters for their jointer and planer spiral heads appear to be very similar to the EWT inserts (although they probably have a square shape rather than the 4" radius arc at each cutting edge that comes standard with EWT's rougher).

Paul
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!