Bedrock / Bailey Compatibility
Hi all,

I found a rusted out Bedrock 607, whose frog + cutter are in solid shape, but the sole seems beyond repair.

Question - if I were to find a Bailey body, would it be compatible with the frog / iron / cap from the Bedrock 607?

Thanks,

Tom
Sorry but the Bedrock bed and frog are mated and do not exchange with Bailey planes. Round side Bedrock frogs do not interchange with square side Bedrocks either. Good news is that the knob, tote, blade, chipbreaker, and lever caps are compatible between both Baileys and Bedrocks. Early Bedrock lever caps, however had Bedrock cast into them. Sorry to hear about your plane sole.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
If you've got a camera, post a pic or two here of the sole.

Remember that Stanley (and others) marketed planes with corrugated soles. The sole doesn't necessarily have to be smooth as a baby's butt. Pitting, if it's not too advanced, needn't be a problem, other than aesthetic.
AS noted, if the sole is otherwise sound, no cracks, chips in mouth, its worth getting reground by TS Tom if you are only dealinfg with deep pitting.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Before you give up on your 607, you might want to send photos of it to tablesawtom, who posts here often. He's a magician with a surface grinder and saved a 604 for me that I thought was beyond the pale because of a warped sole.
Hank Knight in SC said:

Before you give up on your 607, you might want to send photos of it to tablesawtom, who posts here often. He's a magician with a surface grinder and saved a 604 for me that I thought was beyond the pale because of a warped sole.

+1 ......... On Tablesaw Tom, I have bought some of his Keen Kutters and he surfaced a nice #604 for me which is my go to plane. For what he does his prices are very reasonable

Steve