Auction item 1916
Some readers have conflated the word commode (18th century) with the modern usage, which means toilet. In the 18th century, the word commode referred to a large decorative cabinet.
A close stool is the old version of a toilet. I came upon an auction catalog from 1916, and found this example. This is from a FB post of mine, which I quote here.

An artifact offered for sale, 1916
Although this sale has come and gone, the auction catalog reveals an interesting tidbit. The seller was unaware of what they were selling.
What is being described is an upholstered stool of the Chippendale period was very likely a close stool. This is a toilet from the time before indoor plumbing. The broad rails are designed to hide the chamber pot nestled within, and the scallops on the same rails look like human buttocks. That's right, the butt-like shape of the rail is a visual clue for the user, "Here is the toilet."