Stem diameter for wine glass
I'm making stemware for wine glass to be inserted.
What is The average size of the stem. It will be 4 3/4"
from base to glass. It's also for red wine glass. Any
standards or suggestions. Made them in the past for
fun, but this is going to be a gift so I want it proper
if there is such. Thanks, Gaturner/ Sandra
Sandra

Most everyone I know cut the stem somewhere in the middle and insert it into the wooden base with the stem going up to it. I would think I would make it so the wood would go all the way to the top and have the stem in the wood as far as I can get it to keep it more stable.

However, I have never made one tho.

Hope to see what you make.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Sandra:

Here's what I do. I buy a bunch of glasses that I like with the thinnest stems I can find, cut them off about 1/2" from the bottom of the bowl. Then I make the wooden stem approximately the length of the stem that I cut off to keep the original proportions. Does that help?

Frank
I don't think there is a magic number. Thin is nice but just let your imagination go wild. Different woods, different designs, etc.

I would suggest you get your glasses at Bed, Bath and Beyond. They have the best glasses at the best price that I have ever found. They are very uniform in glass thickness, etc.

Here is a pic of some of the ones that I have made.

Don't hesitate to ask, if you have any other questions.
Very nice. Thanks for sharing.
Sandra