Someone please explain
lilrichard2 said:

I just put 13 Cheney's in a drawer to get them out of my sight

Oh no, you've got Cheney's too? Please do NOT show them to me when I visit. They are just about the best hammer ever made.

I have two. Oh crap, I think I hear Barry White playing...
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
blackhat said:

why I have over 70 assorted hammers and mallets, etc. They are starting to demand their own building.

Well, how many nails do you have?
I'm not a hammer collector (only have about 15 of them), but vintage hammers are truly better than most modern ones. They took better care to make sure they were formed and shaped correctly. One of my favorite is a 4 oz ball peen hammer with an oak handle that has a patina that simply cannot be duplicated. It feels great in the hand. When in college (I majored in metallurgical engineering), a trade magazine published an article on how they make hammers. There were something like 17 different heat treat operations to make it. The center of the hammer face is softer than the outside, to prevent mushrooming over years of use, etc., etc.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Happy Birthday sir.

Let's see, 6 I made, 3 were made by unknown others and the rest just seemed to accumulate. I have a 16 oz ball pein I bought near 40 years ago that seems to find a use every time I walk in the shop. My favourite is probably the 6 oz Gray Bonney cross pein because it's such a graceful little thing. The one area that I can say modern hammers exceed their elders is framing hammers. I have a Vaughn hatchet handled 26 oz framer that is just magic when driving spikes. The fatigue is seriously reduced compared to what was available for the same task 30 years ago.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I've lost count. A few years ago I gathered them all together in one place and counted about 57. Since then they have wandered off and are all over the place again. I have no idea where they all came from. They just accumulated on their own. I have a similar thing with C-clamps and other type clamps. Handsaws....yeah, I have a few those too.

Hi, my name is Marv and I have a tool problem...
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)
I believe you Guy's are what they call "Collectors" . Not to say there is anything wrong with that,. I only wish I could play, I think I have about 7 or 8 hammers only and they are all different.

I love old hammers also, especially the Warrington types.

Steve
I have a bunch. But, I like to use my grandpa's claw hammer and my FIL's ball-pein. I like the memories in them.

Also, I will never forget my first supervisor saying that it would take a redwood forest to keep me in sledgehammer handles.

Eric.
I'll show you some of mine if you show me your Cheney(s)

16 oz, 24 oz, 28 oz, 32 oz respectively. It only took me 4 tries to come up with something I liked.
BontzSawWorks.net
blackhat said:

why I have over 70 assorted hammers and mallets, etc. They are starting to demand their own building.

Do all your problems resemble nails?
I have a bunch of hammers also..One of my favorites that I have had for 40yrs is a 4oz machinist that is inscribed..."to Eliza from George..class of 1903"...I treasure that one very highly..I would love to know where it has been..and the history behind it, but it is lost to antiquity..like so many other hand tools that we all care for..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset