Top of the world to you!
Well, my wife is partly Irish, and we are getting close to completing her Lingerie Chest.

My last post completed the drawers, and now attention is turned to the top of the chest ...

This was a saga. I built and rejected three tops before settling on the one below. There were a variety of mouldings, and none fitted in, even the subtle ones. In the end it was a case of less is more. Book matched Makore (as with the carcase) ...

As seen here, the panel is reinforced by breadboard ends. The breadboards line up with the side frames.

So here is the completed carcase. I apologise for the inaccurate colour - it should be a little more red. New camera and still trying to sort out the lighting. Trying to learn to take better photographs!

Here's the obligatory dovetail picture, which most have seen already. The bowed drawers (figured Jarrah) are difficult to judge in this photo, but the curves will show up in the top shortly ..

So, let's see what happens when we lift the top ...

The chest is just 48" high, and the mirror allows it to double as a dressing bureau. This will be covered in dark blue leather.

The hinges for the top are heavy-duty Brusso butt hinges that have a built-in stop at 95 degrees. Holding up the top and mirror is not a problem - my concern was to ensure the lid did not fall down! I searched for months for a suitable brass stay, but could not find one anywhere. The problem was that it needed to fit into a narrow space, and all the ones I looked at needed more room than I had. In the end I designed and built my own.

A brass bits-and-pieces, reshaped, fitted together ...

The stay and catch are french fit into the top. There is a finger hole to access the head, then swing it over and into the catch. It works really well.

And one last photo. Apologies for the gruesome person in the background

I am now working on the last part of the Lingerie Chest: sliding jewellery trays in the top drawer.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Very nice,

How many hours do you estimate went into the project?
Peter

My "day job"
Hi Peter

Thanks.

It is hard to say how many hours. A lot!

I only get into the shop on weekends. And that then depends on whether my wife has made other arrangements. I started this piece 13 months ago, although a few of those months I have travelled overseas, so perhaps 10 months working on it. Almost done.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
That is gorgeous Derek, your Wife will be very happy with that chest. I have also enjoyed the build along, very nice job.

Steve
Very nice, Derek. As usual.
BontzSawWorks.net
Derek, you did a masterful job on this piece. Congratulations on its completion. I know your wife will enjoy it and treasure it. Thanks for inviting us along on the build. I enjoyed it.

Hank
Beautiful would be an understatement. The bookmatched top panel is gorgeous!
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Clever rod idea. Glad you took your time and got it right. Wish I had patience like that.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Totally Beautiful!

You do like a challenge, don't you? It's too bad that John Fry has mostly retired from woodworking, I would love to see a collaboration between the two you (although he is all power.)

Anyway, I love the Makore

If you do not color correct your monitor the best you can do is too take some shots with a color card in the frame and then adjust your color so it matches the color card as closely as possible. Doesn't do much good to correct your monitor because nobody else other than photo bugs do so. IMO, of course.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Wonderful work. Lovely to look at shows true skill.

I always appreciate your posts. The internet is better for your contributions. Thank you for sharing.
Victor

"The cure for anything is saltwater....sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen