Gift ideas for a 13 year old girl
Been there. You're in a tight spot. Short of offering to pay for college, a new iphone or a new car when she turns 18, you're gonna have to work it.

It would help to know what type girl she is. In todays time, a self defense class, money management classes, how not to choose an person for a boyfriend classes would go a long way.

Kids today want money to buy what they want- sounds cold, but times are different.

On the wood side- a baseball bat for the dad.
Thanks for all the good ideas. I've found out that, as of this moment, she likes to read , eat, cook and play soccer. I like the idea of some sort of medium sized chest. It's kind of a one size fits all gift.
Also, dad says no 15 year old boys, so the baseball bat is a good idea!!
Just the age when they become beauty conscious. What about a rack for all her nail polish bottles, other beauty aids? This is a simple one I made for my granddaughter (although at a slightly older age when she moved into a new house with her own room). Make it simple or fancy; wall mounted or table top; painted or natural.

buzzard752 said:

Thanks for all the good ideas. .......Also, dad says no 15 year old boys, so the baseball bat is a good idea!!

Is the baseball bat for dad to scare away the boys with? or for her to play ball with?

Is the baseball bat for dad to scare away the boys with? or for her to play ball with?

[/blockquote]

Definitely for dad!
buzzard752 said:

Definitely for dad!

[/blockquote]

My friend, a Nassau County (New York) police officer, used to make it a point to be cleaning his revolver when a boy would come to pickup his daughter for a date. He would always offer the date a glass of water which he would pickup with surgical gloves as to have the prints checked. Very effective.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Does it have to be something you made? I got my niece, who was 12 years old at the time, all the things you need to bake a pie. That would be a pie tin, a rolling pin, flour and crust ingredients, a bunch of apples and cinnamon, sugar and a pie baking book. (The list of required items I got from the book).

My niece, now 33, has been baking pies with the same basic tools for the past 21 years. Not too many gifts last that long.

At the time the major expense was the rolling pin. While we can get inexpensive rolling pins nowadays the rolling pins back 21 years ago were ghastly expensive.

It all fit in an impressively large and heavy carton (apples weigh a ton).
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I scored with a Dr. Who phone case for my daughter's 14 b-day.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

At this age girls LOVE clothes and shoes so maybe build here a shoe holder and a gift certificate for shoes.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
buzzard752 said:

I have a friend who's daughter turns 13 in a few months. When his older daughter turned 13 a few years ago I made a jewelry box that he had inscribed. He was hoping to have something different for this daughter, but I'm not coming up with any good ideas. Has anyone done anything like this? I have no idea what appeals to 13 year old girls! (Does anyone?)
Thanks!!

Why does it have to be something different? You could make another jewelry box that looks nothing like the one you made previously.

I get it that he’s your friend, but it seems a little presumptuous to specify what kind of gift you should or shouldn’t give*. What if jewelry boxes are your specialty?

*My woodworking efforts are so sporadic, my friends and relatives are pretty grateful to get anything.
Hank Gillette