Am I Off Base?
Saw this ad on local craigslist. I suggested to the seller - nicely - that he may have over priced his machine. He replied - nicely - that it's a commercial jointer and kept the price the same. I can't imagine that this jointer would be worth much more than $300 at best. Oh well, just my opinion and absolutely none of my business. Best of luck to him.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/tls/5598988605.html
Just takes one fool, I suppose.

Second opinions : https://www.reddit.com/r/woodworking/com...ter_price/
If it was me...and it's not...but if it was, I wouldn't have contacted a seller on CL unless I was prepared to make a reasonable offer for a piece of merchandise.

Having said that, you're right that the machine in the CL ad is worth closer to $250-ish than something well north of $1K.

I don't know that I'd wish him luck. All he has to do is find one unknowing, unsuspecting buyer. Either he's choosing to be lazy and not find anything out about the machine, or he's truly trying to find that "sucker" whom he (seller) can separate from his (buyer's) money.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
I had a similar situation recently. The ad was for a router table for $2300. I figured it must be a pretty nice router table for $2300, so I checked it out. It was actually a Delta shaper. Still a bit over priced I thought, but I dropped a note to the seller suggesting they might have better luck listing it as a shaper.. to no avail. The ad ran for 2 months as a router table and then went away. Maybe someone needed a really nice router table.
dg152 said:

Saw this ad on local craigslist. I suggested to the seller - nicely - that he may have over priced his machine. He replied - nicely - that it's a commercial jointer and kept the price the same. I can't imagine that this jointer would be worth much more than $300 at best. Oh well, just my opinion and absolutely none of my business. Best of luck to him.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/tls/5598988605.html

Yes you are and you should now offer him double his asking price, so his feelings aren't hurt.

Bob
The seller is dishonest claiming the original price was $2300. Hopefully, nobody will buy it at that price. It's worth $250-300 max. A brand new Powermatic 6" jointer is only $1000.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Click on the "more ads by this user" button and see the other stuff he's trying to sell.

I'm betting he bought the stuff new at a retail store and is using the new price then as his "MSRP".
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
All the pics look like they were taken at a yard sale; the exception is that jointer, and it's maybe taken inside one of those PODS containers.

Maybe he got suckered when he bought them and he's trying to recoup the "stupid tax" he paid.

Maybe he had a wife who found out he what he spent on that stuff and now he's trying to raise cash for the divorce lawyer.

Wonder what he wants for the used tires in the background or the chipper/shredder in the foreground?

Whatever...he's trying fool somebody.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
All those tools are in Nashville. Maybe they were owned by Elvis? That might explain the pricing. Otherwise.....
If the rust is so easy to remove it, why doesn't the seller do it? Same with "tune ups", and carb cleanings.