Am I Off Base?
toolmiser said:

If the rust is so easy to remove it, why doesn't the seller do it? Same with "tune ups", and carb cleanings.

Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
I spend a lot of time on CG and make offers to people who think they have something made of gold just because it has a name or it is old.

I get called all kinds of names that even a sailor would blush about. Don't bother me- I make a fair offer and they are asking wayyyy too much. Usually after a couple of months or so they will email me back with a more decent offer, but still too high and they get peeved at me again.

Every once in a while I get lucky.
I might have inquired whether he forgot to insert a decimal point.
Bill
Know, think, choose, do -- Ender's Shadow
That thing looks like he left it out in the rain,if so the electricals could be toast. I would offer him max $150.00, if he polishes it up maybe another $50.
His "0" key stutters.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

blackhat said:

His "eg0" key stutters.

fixt
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
When I was looking for a Delta RAS, saw one on CL for $500. Wrote to the seller that it was over priced and offered $125, maybe $150 if it was in really good shape. Seller said it was a 'vintage tool' and worth more. A vintage tool is not a Degas or Renoir painting. It is just old and needs repair to become functional. I wonder if they still have it in some historical setting - like their garage.
if it's in Nashville, it might have gone through the flood.
I have that model jointer. Bought years ago for a little over $300. That's the Delta model famous for its twisted fence. I know, mine has one!

There are people around here like that too, buy stuff at junk stores or auctions and then try to sell for ridiculous prices. They're trying to catch one unknowing person and fleece them.
His lunchbox planer is a better deal at only $1120.
http://nashville.craigslist.org/tls/5598997243.html

Maybe I should have asked $2000, for my PM lunchbox planer, instead of $175.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer