Front door redo
Ok here is the question: Old Mahogany front entrance door needs to be re- done. What do I use to clean it? spotty patina look . What finish would be good for UV protectant? I was told dish soap and 0000 steel wool, then use poly gloss .
US Army retired.

"Even if one person gains from your knowledge, you have shaped a path for the future"
For UV protection use Spar varnish not Poly.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
chips ahoy said:

For UV protection use Spar varnish not Poly.

Mel

I agree, but not the spar varnish from Lowes or Home Depot, go to a marine store or get a genuine marine finish on line.

http://www.westmarine.com/search?Ntt=spar+varnish
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Instead of soap, I've found TSP (you can get it in paint stores) with a little dish detergent in the bucket is the absolute best for cleaning off all nature of gunk. Wear rubber gloves, diluted its not wildly caustic but it does a job on bare hands.

Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Admiral said:

Instead of soap, I've found TSP (you can get it in paint stores) with a little dish detergent in the bucket is the absolute best for cleaning off all nature of gunk. Wear rubber gloves, diluted its not wildly caustic but it does a job on bare hands.

They only sell "TSP substitute" in New York, though I can get it from Amazon.com with no issue.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I might suggest asking about the finishing part in the finishing forum. There's little enough traffic there that the folks who know about finishing are more likely to see your post.

That said: If the door gets direct sun it's very likely that untinted base tint paint is all that will work. It drys clear and has the most UV protection.

If the door does not get direct sun or rain then a genuine marine varnish would be your best bet (after paint.) Epiphanes is often said to be the best of breed. Like all such, it is painfully expensive.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Fine Homebuilding ran an article on this one a little while back. Dan
Mine was in poor shape at my previous house from the previous homeowner not doing anything so I actually sanded mine down.

I used epithanes marine varnish and let me tell you it best the big box stuff in the dirt! I'd used min wax spar before and it was terrible. It's been almost 4 years now and that door still looks great and it's in direct sunlight most of the day.
-Marc

WaterlooMarc said:

Mine was in poor shape at my previous house from the previous homeowner not doing anything so I actually sanded mine down.

I used epithanes marine varnish and let me tell you it best the big box stuff in the dirt! I'd used min wax spar before and it was terrible. It's been almost 4 years now and that door still looks great and it's in direct sunlight most of the day.

Mine was in poor shape because of the half-assed job they did finishing it in the first place. Sanded it down I think last year and restained and topped with spar varnish.
I have a solid wood door and have had great luck with Penofin Hardwood Formula. Now I do have porch (8' deep) that protects the door so take that into consideration. But 11 years in and I have not had to re-seal it yet.