red oak odor
I recently cut red oak for a cabinet I am building. Some of the oak had a strong almost skunk like smell when it was cut on the table saw. I have noticed this before over the years and thought I would ask this time if this was characteristic of some oaks or perhaps how it was stored and aged? It does not seem to affect the finish of the oak nor is it noticeable after the wood is sanded and finished, but I am just curious if anyone else has noticed this. thanks, vern
I've had some Red Oak that had a strong smell too.

I wonder if it absorbs odors since it's porous, unlike white oak?
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I do have some theories.

1. It was the tree the local skunks went to lift their legs.
2. The tree is trying to protect itself from the attack of the saw by emitting the odor.
3. There is bacteria in the wood from a moist environment.
4. Tree farts.

Other than that- I got nothing.
I think red oak stinks.
Last two projects I made with quarter sawn red oak did NOT exhibit the "skunk peeing on a feral cat in heat" smell.

However, a project made with flat sawn oak and red oak plywood stunk to high heaven. The flat sawn oak was specifically listed as "Appalachian" red oak.

I've had batches of white oak which also exhibited a slightly offensive smell. And others that didn't.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Stagnant water in the heartwood. Or at least it seems so from my experience. Where their feet get damp, the trees load up and can't shed it fast enough.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
The lumber yard is protected by a Rottweiler which gets left in the yard overnight and lifts his leg.

We had our water bottles delivered to our office. I take my dog to work everyday and he started sniffing the bottles when they arrived.

I asked the delivery man if they had a dog to guard the warehouse overnight. He said "yes". We switched vendors. The dog was peeing on the bottles overnight. Disgusting. The bottles were sealed and they have a seal over the opening so we probably (probably) did not drink any dog pee, but still...
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I frequently find oak that smells of cow manure. I'm sure it comes from pasture land and the odor is picked up from the soil.
One way to identify the wood is to wet it. Among old-time carpenters is was sometimes called "pi$$ oak." It is an inherent trait. The odor goes away as it airs. Can be brought back from freshly cut wood. More so if you wet the cut edge. Has no effect on finishing. Actually red oak finishes well.

GNP said:

I think red oak stinks.

Me tooo
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW