Hemlock
Can buy hemlock for.50 a board foot. Do a lot of segmented turnings. Has anyone used hemlock for this and what could I expect as to grain and color.
I have never seen it or used it before so know idea.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Eastern? Tsuga canadensis is a stinking, brittle, Nasty wood prone to "wind shakes" and internal splits.

If you get some that's sound, you can get some neat work by wire brushing the earlywood back for a "weathered" effect. Other than that - nothing special.

Western hemlock - Tsuga hetrophylla - is prized for use in construction, and is also rated well in workability. Long time since I worked it, but it was edge friendly, unlike its eastern cousin.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I have lots of eastern hemlock on my property and I have milled thousands of board feet on my sawmill. I know it does not stink. About 35% of it will have ring shake.
I used it as the frame stock for my barn and it was great. Most people will tell you that it will split when nailing it but I know that to be false. Hot galvanized nails work fine. I do find it has plenty of splinters ready to embed in your hand.
As far as turning I would think the shake problem would be your issue. It is easy to spot as the wood will fall apart if it has it.
we only use western hemlock around here for construction. I would never touch it for turning.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Nasty smell if you char it cutting after it's dry. My nose and anyone else who's been in the shop when I rip it agree. We see it as B&B siding and as post/beam in old barns, but that's pretty much because nobody could sell it.

As I said, wire brush and some "aging" coloration makes it nice. Very saleable picture frames.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Bill Luce uses old-growth Fir & Hemlock. He wants tight-narrow growth rings
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.

Thanks for the info. Guess I will pass.