Birds??? How do I get rid of them

I have a problems where birds keep coming back and building their nest inside the spikes I put on the gantry on the attached photo. Commercial application where I have 100 people a day walk under this area. I am just waiting for one of my customers to get crapped on.

I've had a local screen company install wire mess on the underside of the structure. They did a great job from what I can tell. THe birds do not next on the I-Beam as I guess it is just too narrow.

THe gantry ultimately holds a torpedo that is part of the heritage of the building as they built torpedo's during WWII in the building and the gantry is how they moved them in and out of the building. I want to keep the gantry/torpedo as it is a wonderful conversation piece for our Federal Government/Military customers who come visit.

Back to the original question, How the heck to I get the birds to stay away. I thought the spike strips were the answer as that is what you see on all the monuments in Washington DC where the pigeons would take over if allowed. Anything I can put there like moth balls which will just smell so bad during the mating season, some magical pepper spray....12 gauge???
I solved the bird's nest problem on my porch light with a coil of bare copper wire. With time, the shiny copper wire has tarnished and is less noticeable now.

They used to built a nest on that light every year. It's been nest-free now for 6 years.

I'm not sure if this idea can be scaled up to fit your needs but thought I'd mention it.

Mike
I ran very light fishing line in a close parallel pattern under my retractable awning, as fishing line prevents them from landing since they can't fly through it. Seems to work quite well, and being very light (couple of pounds test), it's not noticeable unless you look for it. Maybe that concept can work for you, running parallel to the beams and joists. Doesn't have to be a carpet of line; just enough to mess them up so they can't land.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Tie a cat to the gantry?
Nixalight. It is proven technology and humane (despite its appearance).

http://www.nixalite.com/products/bird-spikes

There are others in the same business, but Nixalite is made in the USA (and is a customer of ours). There is a video included.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
bsheffer said:

Anything I can put there like moth balls which will just smell so bad during the mating season, some magical pepper spray....12 gauge???

12ga too big, .410 with birdshot.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Cooler, I probably was not clear on this but I put the bird spikes in and those defiant birds nest in the spikes. ...Possibly I just need something that has many more spikes but from what I am hearing, the mono-filament seems like a quick cheap "try"...
Adjust the spikes... the spikes are not a deterrent if they still have room to build a nest.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

bsheffer said:

Cooler, I probably was not clear on this but I put the bird spikes in and those defiant birds nest in the spikes. ...Possibly I just need something that has many more spikes but from what I am hearing, the mono-filament seems like a quick cheap "try"...

If you contact my customer (Nixalite) and ask for technical assistance they will tell you what you should use. But I agree that the monofiliment, is a cheap fix. Though I would go with PVC coated stainless steel wire. This wire is used for the picture frame industry as a hanging wire and in the fishing industry. It won't stretch and loosen like the monofiliment will. I think that the monofiliment will sag over time.

http://www.sears.com/wire-cable-specialt...CFdcTgQodNkoG4A
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.