Need Chucks for Lathe - Any cheaper than $30 ?
Hi everyone,

I need more chucks... the photo below (from Craft Supplies) shows the type that works okay. I really could use 4 more. 6 would be better. But at $30 each, Arrggh!
Does anyone know where to get a better deal on anything like this?

?? What you linked to appears to be the *threaded insert* for a chuck but is not a chuck itself (a chuck being a much larger chunk of metal with jaws that open and close).

There is also a faceplate - used for workholding - which appears visually similar to a threaded insert for a chuck but typically larger and with large screw holes.

So which of these do you want?

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
I apologize... I really don't know anything about the terms used concerning this. I need faceplates.

I am using the above pictured item like a faceplate. I screw the item above into what I am turning... and it works fine.

So, I need faceplates. I really could use 6 more. It would make the production of the units I make much faster, or course.
Eureka !!! I web searched "lathe faceplate". I just didn't recall/know the proper name of the item I needed.

Now... the hunt is on ! Thank you for the help.
Here you go for 1x8tpi faceplates

You can get up to 6" for under $30

https://www.pennstateind.com/mm5/merchan...rderByItem
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Thank you Arlin
Okay... ordered up the faceplates and that is complete.

Now... I'm curious, just what is a "Threaded Insert" used for? I've been using it as a faceplate, but what is it's intended purpose?
Threaded inserts fit into the chuck body for mounting to a particular lathe. Some are a taper such as shown (held in by screws from the rear) and most are screw in type.
For example Nova uses a screw in type, they offer 15-20 different size inserts (interior dimension) so most any lathe in world can use the chuck with the appropriate insert to fit the spindle.
A few chucks are "direct threaded" and do not use an insert but that limits the use to one spindle size.
OOOOOOOOOoooooooohhhhh. I never knew that. Thank you for stopping and explaining it to me.
The new faceplates arrived today in the mail.

Really nice stuff from Penn State Industries.

<----- Happy Camper